Beethoven's last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's last night

I bought this CD on e-bay,as I had already read about the topic in the past, the story is fascinating, and I enjoyed the music very much. I also read somewhere that it seems that no dvd had ever been released about this theatre piece. Does anybody know more than what internet explains, as this piece is dated 2000? Isn't it possible to find a video o dvd anywhere? I'd die for it!
    Preston: good news! I found someone who can download BBC EROICA from region1 to region2, it's a bit complicated but possible! So on e-bay I bought the dvd, I'm longing for it! As for your question about THE GENIUS OF, I downloaded it and now it's here but...what an UGLY ACTOR! He looks more like Michael Jackson! Bleah!

Well, don't die over it nothing is worth that. But this CD has never been made into a video. I have it though and it is a good story and great music. The leader of TBO is a huge Beethoven fan and is also a classical pianist. He went to the Julliard school. If you ever get the chance go see them in concert they play a lot of Beethoven. They will be performing in concert here in December.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

[. He went to the Julliard school. If you ever get the chance go see them in concert they play a lot of Beethoven. They will be performing in concert here in December.[/QUOTE]

It won't be so easy,in Italy... Probably they've never been in Europe.I'll miss this video.

Comment

Here is their official website. Maybe you can find out more info about them. It looks like their current tour is in America. Don't know if they ever made it outside of the USA.

http://www.trans-siberian.com/ontour/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
          As for your question about THE GENIUS OF, I downloaded it and now it's here but...what an UGLY ACTOR! He looks more like Michael Jackson! Bleah!
          Paul Rhys who plays Beethoven in this three-part docu-drama is really quite a good-looking man but he does scowl a lot in this role. Then again, Beethoven never won any beauty contest.
          I was watching this again recently and it really is the best performance I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Paul Rhys who plays Beethoven in this three-part docu-drama is really quite a good-looking man but he does scowl a lot in this role. Then again, Beethoven never won any beauty contest.
            I was watching this again recently and it really is the best performance I have seen.
            Terry, I agree with Michael that Paul Rhys is a good looking man. Paul Rhys looks a lot like the Stieler painting.

Michael, I think Paul Rhys did a terrific job, but, I feel that his performance is to strong, bold, and pompous, maybe I am wrong but that is what I imagine. Not, that I don't think Beethoven was strong minded, and I imagine his music is probably the most strong and powerful ever written, but I don't imagine Beethoven to have acted as Paul Rhys.

I think that in some scenes in Immortal Beloved, Gary Oldman does a better job than Rhys. Like the scene when the 9th is being performed. It is a shame that it wasn't a better script, Immortal Beloved that is.
            Last edited by Preston; 10-16-2008, 05:43 PM.
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Dear friends,
              am I getting confused? I said the actor inTHE GENIUS OF B. is ugly like M.Jackson, while Rhys is the actor in EROICA?!
              2 different BBC series,aren't they? If I'm right,as for I have seen -I'm waiting for the dvd from Ebay seller,not watched yet - Rhys is not ugly, I agree with you. B never won a beauty contest... well,that's true but... I find him soo sexy..! This usually doesn't concern women, from a male point of view
              I'll watch both movies, as soon as I get them.Thanks for your attention!

Comment

Rhys was the actor in "The Genius of Beethoven", not the actor in the "Eroica".

Terry, it seems to me, that you have a problem with people who are not that attractive. You refer to them as down right, "UGLY". You shouldn't be harsh against people who may not possess the beauty that you have. I know that Beethoven would not have liked you to be harsh against lesser attractive people.

One of my favorite quotes from Van Gogh is this:

"What is the use of a beautiful body, animals have it too... perhaps even more then men... but... the soul, as it lives in the people, that's what animals never have. Is not life given us to become richer in spirit."

Terry, is not life about becoming richer in spirit?

Anyway, I would like to say that I think sometimes about- what if we ever had sat down and talked to Beethoven. I imagine that he would be quite different than the romanticized stereotype that you hold of him.
                Last edited by Preston; 10-18-2008, 06:26 PM.
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Ian Hart plays Beethoven in "Eroica" - or rather underplays him, which makes a nice change. He also played Voldemort in the first Harry Potter movie which we have all seen (go on - admit it!)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Ian Hart plays Beethoven in "Eroica" - or rather underplays him, which makes a nice change. He also played Voldemort in the first Harry Potter movie which we have all seen (go on - admit it!)
                    Ok, I confess. I saw it once. Or twice.

Comment

Oh, I've seen that too. Even a few of the other films too. They were pretty good actually. My nephew was really into them at that time and we would watch them together. Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                        Rhys was the actor in "The Genius of Beethoven", not the actor in the "Eroica".

Anyway, I would like to say that I think sometimes about- what if we ever had sat down and talked to Beethoven. I imagine that he would be quite different than the romanticized stereotype that you hold of him.
                        I'm afraid you're right. Some of Beethoven's 'quirks' would have probably driven some of us mad!

Comment

Preston,
                          I regret you have this image of me,unfortunately we'll never meet so what appears of us online is very superficial,that is what I don't like about internet. B wasn't pretty but to me he's the most handsome man in the world,so I agree with you that beauty is in the looker's eyes. I don't find Brad Pitt so interesting, for example, while I like Paul Belmondo etc. Hope you won't consider me a superficial woman, as I have a great consideration of you.

Yes Ian Hart is in Eroica,I mistook. OK,I'll watch them again..

Comment

Hello everyone

I was looking for an introduction thread (did I miss? ) and saw this one-I love TSO! Anyway, hope this serves as hello for now-see you around the forum (Hi philip-phx )
                            Eternalisa
                            "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Working...
                            X