Rare Beethoven Op.45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Beethoven Op.45

The 2nd of these three Marches for piano duo (4 hands, 1 piano) is now available on the Rare Beethoven page :
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:

The 2nd of these three Marches for piano duo (4 hands, 1 piano) is now available on the Rare Beethoven page :
    What do you think of those pedal effects? The effect in the trio is fantastic, almost electronic sounding!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      What do you think of those pedal effects? The effect in the trio is fantastic, almost electronic sounding!

I was going to ask, how is it done? And is that a Bass Drum and Triangle I hear in the outer sections, or a foot stomp and triangle? All in all, that was a VERY interesting piece.

Bob

------------------
      I am not a number, I am a free man!
      Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
        I was going to ask, how is it done? And is that a Bass Drum and Triangle I hear in the outer sections, or a foot stomp and triangle? All in all, that was a VERY interesting piece.

Bob

All the effects are operated by foot pedals - the drum etc are inside the piano casing. How the effect in the trio is done I'm not sure, something perhaps was inserted between the hammers and the strings. There was a taste for these effects in certain quarters of Vienna (the piano in the recording has about 7 pedals!). B never asked for these effects for his own instruments, just the moderator and keyboard shift.

------------------

Comment

I'm still waiting for your assessment Peter! Perhaps this music is not to your taste? Can't critisise others when the moderator himself offers no comment!

------------------

Comment

Patience dear Rod! I've only just found the time to download the March. It is an interesting piece - but not one of my favourites! The effects are quite amazing, though I'm pleased B didn't incorporate them into any of his sonatas! It's puzzling that he didn't write more piano duet music , as Mozart and Schubert both produced some very fine duets - primarily for teaching purposes.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Patience dear Rod! I've only just found the time to download the March. It is an interesting piece - but not one of my favourites! The effects are quite amazing, though I'm pleased B didn't incorporate them into any of his sonatas! It's puzzling that he didn't write more piano duet music , as Mozart and Schubert both produced some very fine duets - primarily for teaching purposes.
              Everything comes to he who waits!

Well a march is a march! Such marches were the 'bee's knees' in those days, a sign of the militaristic times I suppose, something that doesn't seem relevant today. However it was these marches that finally convinced me that B's piano music was not designed for the modern piano. I heard a 'modern' recording of one of them on the radio years ago and frankly the combination of four hands' worth of thick toned notes was way too much. The effect was just a colossal noise during the more vigorous passages. Then I could say even the march for two hands in op101 sound more effective on the fp also - you can 'go for it' without the effect sounding over the top, which it can often sound on the pf to my ears. I am not at all surprised that there are not many conventional recordings of B's music for 4 hands.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                Everything comes to he who waits!

Well a march is a march! Such marches were the 'bee's knees' in those days, a sign of the militaristic times I suppose, something that doesn't seem relevant today.
                The Marches were of their time and Schubert also provided us with his March Militaires also for four hands - I've only ever heard them on modern pianos, so I don't know whether or not the originals inluded some of the percussion effects found in B's. Presumably the other 2 marches in the Op.45 set include these percussion effects as well?

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Presumably the other 2 marches in the Op.45 set include these percussion effects as well?

My source says only No.2 uses these effects.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X