LVB's Op. 88 Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LVB's Op. 88 Song

I'm looking for an accurate English translation to the Op. 88 Lied, "Das Gluck der Freundschaft". The "standard" translation - the one it seems that every CD booklet ,etc uses - is terribly inaccurate. This one opens with "Happy is the man whose lot it is / To win a faithful love." This may give the thought of the German, but it is not what is actually happening on the German side of the page. I have translated it myself, but my German is not that good. If no one has a really good English translation, perhaps someone who is proficient in German could look at my poor attempt and offer corrections. Thanks to all. (New member; first post)

I have a Lea Pocket Score with that song and what looks like a good translation. It is quite a lot to type (I have yet to get a scanner). I can photocopy the score and translation and send it by snail-mail. Please private-message me or e-mail me your snail-mail address
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

The only translation I have is from the book of the DGG Complete Beethoven Edition and I suspect it's the one you have. The second verse starts off like this:

Wherever Fate may lead him
      Sweet flowers smile in his path
      Joy does not hide behind a veil ....... etc.

If it sounds substantially different to your translation, I can post all five verses (at no extra charge )

Comment

LVB's Op. 88 Song

The DGG English IS the standard one used by practically everybody. The second stanza starting "Wherever Fate may lead him," IDs it as the translation I'm fussing about. It's just virtually useless as far as knowing the exact German meaning. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X