Beethoven's Last Work - yet again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Last Work - yet again!

Actually, the title of this thread is a bit inaccurate but I don't know how to change it. It should read: Beethoven's last work for PIANO.

There have been so many bits and pieces put forward as Beethoven's last "work" that it has become something of a joke. I suppose we are back to the argument of what constitutes a work, which has been done to death on another thread. I think the new finale to the B flat quartet is generally considered to be his last complete composition. After that, various canons and the Diabelli mock-up have been brought forward as candidates. "The Unheard Beethoven" have described one of their midis as the last four notes written by B. and I would trust them more than others.
    Anyway, what prompted all this is the following news item about a discovery of Beethoven's last PIANO work. I wonder is Gardibolt aware of it and, if so, can we hear it soon on the "Unheard" site? Maybe it's already there but I don't see anything resembling it among the new additions.

News item:
    Scholar finds 'Beethoven's last piano work' in library

By Pauline Askin in Sydney
    Tuesday, 9 September 2008

An Australian musicologist has discovered what he believes to be the last piano work written by Beethoven.

Peter McCallum, associate professor of musicology at the University of Sydney, found the 32 bars of handwritten music while looking at one of the composer's sketchbooks in Berlin's state library. Most of his books have been studied in detail but the final one has attracted less attention.

McCallum said that he didn't know instantly that it was a piano piece because Beethoven often used a chaotic sort of shorthand. "The sketchbooks ... are very difficult to read and need a bit of deciphering, but you can work it out if you look at it for long enough," he said.

McCallum said he believed the piece was written in October 1826, five months before Beethoven died.

"It's got a few little unusual harmonic features which we don't normally associate with Beethoven," he said.

McCallum's pianist wife Stephanie used her husband's transcription to make the first recording of the piece - Bagatelle in F minor – which lasts just 54 seconds. McCallum said he believed the piece, although brief, was complete.

"I suspect if Beethoven had come to it as he very often did with these things he would have added more because it's not very long," he said.

Perhaps instead of "musical work," the proper terminology should be "musical idea" or "musical thought."
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Beethoven wrote plenty of short piano works, so I could beleive this was complete. Think of Op. 119, No. 10!

Comment

Today I came across this little piece. I think it is really lovely!

http://www.smh.com.au/interactive/20...ork/index.html

Comment

THANKS for that!
          - Susan

Comment

The man wrote more last works than anybody else - but who's complaining?
            This is a little gem - thanks very much!

(I have just realised that this is the piece referred to at the start of this thread!)
            Last edited by Michael; 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Variations on Beethoven's Bagatelle sketch

I fell so much in love with this litte Bagatelle sketch that in the last 6 weeks I wrote 7 variations for piano on this theme. It elaborates either the melody itsself or the harmonically interesting bass line.

Here you may like to listen to it:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7491483

What do you think of it?

Gerd

Comment

Gerd that is quite impressive, once again, wish I had your skills. You know music far better then I do, you will see what I mean if you listen, lol. Did you study music in college? Since we are sharing pieces of music, I will share a piece of music that I wrote, . I am by no means, even some sort of musician, but thought that I would post this for the heck of it. Perhaps we should start a thread for music that was written by members? It is very repetitive, and it is just not that good. But, it is the best I can do for now. I wrote in about thirty minutes, so a lot of the timing and sounds are off. I did it through Audacity and Gigastudio, so that is why the instruments sound out of place, and you have to listen oh so closely to hear the violas, and violins, etc. I called it fantasy_2 because of a darker powerful fantasy picture. It is all orchestral instuments, and only 30 seconds. Try not to laugh to hard, it is only my third try towards writing music.
                http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7492345
                Last edited by Preston; 04-06-2009, 03:10 AM. Reason: I was a little to harsh on myself.
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

you have only "sounds" here, but no theme. Try to get a theme, a melody first
                  and then try to render it with simple instruments. You have to edit real notes. I am not sure whether you did that. This is the way start learning composing.
                  You may go to http://www.composition-contest.com/index2.php There are quite a few people composing. A few contributions are really great there ...

Comment

Thanks for the tips Gerd. I do have a melody (a kind of catchy one), it is just harder to hear. I uploaded the fantasy_1 which contains the rough draft. You should be able to hear the melody, which I "kind of sort of" like, in the fantasy_1. It is harder, I guess, to hear it in the fantasy_2 because of the rendering and other sounds. The melody is descending and repetitive. It is based on the C minor scale, so it starts on C minor then goes to A#, then G#, then G, and starts back over- primarily for feeling and so that I could catch the guitar going from slow to fast to capture that melodic effect at around 13 seconds into the piece, which pretty much happened by accident. The piano and the guitar couple while the timapani and basses slam out the root note, the stings play the chords of the melody, and the choir sings in one note almost off scale to give it that fantasy effect.

It is hard to hear all of the layers! I heard this piece of music called something like "Divenire" and that gave me an idea to try to capture the melodic content in a certain, fantasy way.

Here is fantasy 1, http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7495311 . It is much weaker then fantasy_2 but it is essential for the theme and melody. It is interesting how you can make such a small thing into a more powerful thing, .
                    Last edited by Preston; 04-07-2009, 07:01 AM. Reason: "kind of sort of"
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      The man wrote more last works than anybody else - but who's complaining?
                      Pergolesi wrote more work afer his death than during his life

Comment

According to Rosemary Brown, the spiritualist, Beethoven was still composing long after his death and he visited her frequently. As you will see from the link, she is now visiting him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemar..._(spiritualist)

(I think the link is dodgy, but Rosemary Brown, spiritualist should do.)
                        Last edited by Michael; 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          According to Rosemary Brown, the spiritualist, Beethoven was still composing long after his death and he visited her frequently. As you will see from the link, she is now visiting him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemar..._(spiritualist)

(I think the link is dodgy, but Rosemary Brown, spiritualist should do.)
                          Ooooo, spooky! This should go with the ghost story thread! But seriously, so many questions to be asked of Beethoven if we could communicate with him.
                          Last edited by Joy; 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM. Reason: sp
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                          X