Der Junge Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Der Junge Beethoven

Hello all, I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this question has floated around before...

Does any know if an English translation of "Der Junge Beethoven" by Ludwig Schiedermair exists? Also, does anyone know where I might find more in-depth information about the von Breuning family?

Thank you!

I'm not sure, I have some info on the Breunings - what exactly are you after and are you interested in anyone specifically?
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

There is always Gerhard von Breuning's book "Memories of Beethoven: From the house of the black-robed Spaniards." It has been published in English by the Cambridge University Press. It is a great read. Although it is mostly a child's memory of the composer, Gerhard writes about his father, the Hofrat Stephen von Breuning.

And now everyone knows the source of my nickname!
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I'm mostly interested in the family's relation to Beethoven. I'm trying to put together some semblance of a book concerning his early life in Bonn (I'm a journalist, so I love the research involved, but the book thing is really up in the air). I've read a compilation of letters, pieces of Thayer's biography and other, modern biographies. I'm really interested in Schiedermair's book, but my German is minimal so I'm not able to read the whole thing. So if you could even suggest something with solid information about his early years, that would be really helpful. I’m finding all sorts of conflicting information about the von Breunings. Thanks!

Comment

Your best bet then is probably 'Beethoven remembered' : the biographical notes of Franz Wegeler and Ferdinand Ries translated. Wegeler was a close friend of Beethoven's in Bonn and he married Elenore Von Breuning. It's generally reliable and available on Amazon:
          http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Reme.../dp/0915556154
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X