Toscanini's Missa Solemnis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toscanini's Missa Solemnis

On a whimsy I searched Google Videos for 'Toscanini Missa Solemnis'.

The search results went well beyond expectation.

Ignoring the rather obvious poor sound reproduction quality would anyone care to offer some comment on the Toscanini interpretation of this particular work (as heard on the video site)?

A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

I have it on vinyl. It has been years since I last listened to it, and I regret to say that I no longer have the technology to play the vinyl. As I recall, Toscanini's tempi were on the quick side.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I don't know the Toscanini but generally his tempi were conidered fast but not now thanks to HIP. My preferred rendition of the Missa is Klemperer - I normally do not care for his rather laborious and ponderous interpretations, but his was the first recording I heard of this work and I think he achieves a monumental grandeur like no other.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic View Post
        On a whimsy I searched Google Videos for 'Toscanini Missa Solemnis'.

The search results went well beyond expectation.

Ignoring the rather obvious poor sound reproduction quality would anyone care to offer some comment on the Toscanini interpretation of this particular work (as heard on the video site)?

There is a remastered CD of this available. I picked up a copy of the complete symphonies along with the mass and some overtures in a set that was released several years ago as digitally remastered.

I enjoyed very much the Toscanini version and it rates among my favorites. The Bernstein with the New York Philharmonic is another I like very much. But as it's been awhile since I've listened to the Toscanini version I can't say a whole lot about it specifically except that it impressed me very deeply.

Comment

The version by Nikolaus Harnoncourt with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe is well worth a listen
          Love from London

Comment

Working...
          X