For a Ballet of Old Germany??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a Ballet of Old Germany??

A couple of days ago I heard on my classical radio station a Beethoven's song entitled,
    'For a Ballet of Old Germany'. Has anyone heard of this? I must admit I never had. I guess it's not a song they play very often.
    But I was wondering about the background history of it if anyone knows?? Thanks!!

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I think you may be referring to the Ritterballet WoO1 which was written in 1790 and first performed on 6th March 1791. It was originally thought to have been written by Count Waldstein. It consists of 8 numbers and will be featuring on the Rare Beethoven page shortly.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      A couple of days ago I heard on my classical radio station a Beethoven's song entitled,
      'For a Ballet of Old Germany'. Has anyone heard of this? I must admit I never had. I guess it's not a song they play very often.
      But I was wondering about the background history of it if anyone knows?? Thanks!!

Joy
      I've never heard of it...was it pretty good? I've remember reading that part on some book I check out at the library.

Comment

A good inexpensive recording of the "Ritterballet" can be found on Naxos 8.553431 (Beethoven Overtures, Vol 2). The ballet (which is less than a quarter of an hour in length) is included as a filler, along with two other short rarities: the Funeral March from "Leonore Prohaska" (actually an arrangement by B of the funeral march from his Opus 26 Piano Sonata) and the "Triumphal March" from "Tarpeja".

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Beloved:
          I've never heard of it...was it pretty good? I've remember reading that part on some book I check out at the library.
          Yes, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I especially like to listen to B's music I haven't heard before although that is becoming quite rare these days.

Joy

Comment

Thanks Peter and Michael for the help. I would like to listen to it on the Rare Beethoven Page, but with my 'ancient computer' I can't do Mp3s, although if it's MIDI I can do that.
            Michael, I'll look into your suggestion and see if I can find that recording, thanks!!

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Thanks Peter and Michael for the help. I would like to listen to it on the Rare Beethoven Page, but with my 'ancient computer' I can't do Mp3s, although if it's MIDI I can do that.
              Michael, I'll look into your suggestion and see if I can find that recording, thanks!!
              Joy
              You should visit an internet cafe if you have one handy, at the one I visit you can listen to the mp3s direct via Windows Media Viewer.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-29-2001).]
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                You should visit an internet cafe if you have one handy, at the one I visit you can listen to the mp3s direct via Windows Media Viewer.

Thanks for the suggestion, Rod, but I guess my computer is an old fossil because I can't even do that!! Time to go shopping for a new one, I guess.

Joy

Comment

Working...
                X