Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Search of Beethoven (Phil Grabsky's blog)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip
    Ah Peter, we don't change, do we? Alright, I'll order a copy from Amazon (only because Michael has not responded to making me a pirate copy).
    He who dares, wins, eh, Peter?
    I have great admiration for you (and others on this forum), by the way. How dull it would be if we always agreed.
    Vide breve, Ars longa, my friend!
    I appreciate the sentiments Philip which are fully reciprocated. I often disagree with myself and it's frightening to discover as one advances in years that so much in life is illusion (or is it delusion?).
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      I often disagree with myself and it's frightening to discover as one advances in years that so much in life is illusion (or is it delusion?).
      I think it is a combination of both, !
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Surely not so close to the "male menopause", are we? Yes, delusion strikes me as the apt word (for me, too!).

Anyway, enough of this sentimentality! More importantly, the Strasbourg "Musica" Contemporary Music Festival is up and running. I've been to two concerts so far. Anyone care to hear what, and my impressions?

Don't all speak at once, please.
        I'm interested in your take on the festival.

Anyone see/hear the Prom? It was broadcast on the radio here, but I only caught a small part of it. (Although, I am not sure if it was a delayed/recorded broadcast.)

Comment

Surely not so close to the "male menopause", are we? Yes, delusion strikes me as the apt word (for me, too!).

Anyway, enough of this sentimentality! More importantly, the Strasbourg "Musica" Contemporary Music Festival is up and running. I've been to two concerts so far. Anyone care to hear what, and my impressions?

Don't all speak at once, please.
          Oh yes Philip please keep us informed!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

For the members who live in Sydney, Australia,
            "In Search of Beethoven" will be shown at the Orpheum
            Theatre, Neutral Bay on 14th October. I look forward
            to see this film as I enjoyed "In Search of Mozart" very much.

Regards,
            Agnes.

Comment

Short interview with Phil Grabsky here:

http://www.clevescene.com/reel-cleve...r-phil-grabsky

Comment

In the documentary, Ronald Brautigam demonstrated how difficult it was to play portions of Beethoven's very early work, Piano Concerto in E flat, WoO4.

This news item is interesting:

Published Date: 06 October 2009
                By ALEXANDER BRYCE
                CLASSICAL
                LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN
                Piano Concertos WoO4 and No 2
                BIS SACD179, £12.72

Dutch pianist Ronald Brautigam attempts a reconstruction of Beethoven's Piano Concerto WoO4, possibly completed by 1784, when Beethoven was only 14. Even at that age Beethoven was a prodigious pianist, judging by the manuscript copy of the piano part, which is all that survives. Brautigam's reconstruction is carefully thought through, historically informed and contains much delightfully youthful music.

The Second Piano Concerto, begun around 1787, was reworked repeatedly before Beethoven published it: the result is classical in form, yet shaped by Beethoven's continuing musical development. Both receive strong performances from Brautigam and Andrew Parrott with the Norrköping Symphony.

Comment

Watching this excellent film again - made even more of an impression on me than the first time round.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I had forgotten about this film. Must dig out my copy and have another look. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Oh good, it's on Youtube. It's not all bad, Albert.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        In the documentary, Ronald Brautigam demonstrated how difficult it was to play portions of Beethoven's very early work, Piano Concerto in E flat, WoO4.

This news item is interesting:

Published Date: 06 October 2009
                        By ALEXANDER BRYCE
                        CLASSICAL
                        LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN
                        Piano Concertos WoO4 and No 2
                        BIS SACD179, £12.72

Dutch pianist Ronald Brautigam attempts a reconstruction of Beethoven's Piano Concerto WoO4, possibly completed by 1784, when Beethoven was only 14. Even at that age Beethoven was a prodigious pianist, judging by the manuscript copy of the piano part, which is all that survives. Brautigam's reconstruction is carefully thought through, historically informed and contains much delightfully youthful music.

The Second Piano Concerto, begun around 1787, was reworked repeatedly before Beethoven published it: the result is classical in form, yet shaped by Beethoven's continuing musical development. Both receive strong performances from Brautigam and Andrew Parrott with the Norrköping Symphony.
                        See, Albert.

And of course a familiar face in the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                          Oh good, it's on Youtube. It's not all bad, Albert.
                          Good job it's on YouTube. My home-made DVD refuses to play! So much for technology.

Comment

Working...
                          X