Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Search of Beethoven (Phil Grabsky's blog)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"In Search of Beethoven" is to be broadcast on the Sky Arts Channel in May. No dates have been given as yet, but in a magazine ad it has been described as a series, so it could possibly be split into two or three parts.

http://www.skyarts.co.uk/music/artic...-of-beethoven/

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, "In Search of Beethoven" will be broadcast on Sky Arts 2 on May 24th at 6:30pm. "In Search of Mozart" is already being repeated at various times throughout this month.

Comment

In Search of Mozart was repeated on our Classical Channel
        last week but no news of In Search of Beethoven as yet.

Agnes in Sydney, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          To the best of my knowledge, "In Search of Beethoven" will be broadcast on Sky Arts 2 on May 24th at 6:30pm. "In Search of Mozart" is already being repeated at various times throughout this month.
          I don't have Sky Arts 2! Is it available on dvd?
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            I don't have Sky Arts 2! Is it available on dvd?
            "In Search of Mozart" is out on DVD so I would imagine the new documentary will eventually be available.

Comment

In Search of Beethoven

Hi everyone,

The official In Search of Beethoven website is now live - www.insearchofbeethoven.com It contains details of screenings around the U.K and worldwide.

In Search of Beethoven will also be broadcast on Sky Arts as a 5 part series from the 24th May at 6:30pm. In Search of Mozart is also currently being repeated on Sky Arts.

US and Canada cinema release is scheduled for later this year, sorry I'm unable to provide any dates yet but there will be more news of this over the next few months.

If anyone has had a chance to see the film we would love to know what you thought of it. You can post a review and rate the film by logging onto www.imdb.com

We also have a page on facebook - In Search of Beethoven Documentary which contains images and links to reviews

Kind Regards

Emma

'One of the finest movies about a great musician I have ever seen'
              Philip French - Observer

Comment

In Search of Beethoven

Does Mr. Grabsky intend to show the film in Australia?
                In Search of Mozart was hugely sucessful so I hope Beethoven
                will eventually reach our shores.

Regards,
                Agnes.

Comment

"In Search of Beethoven" will be shown on Sky Arts 2 channel (Sky Channel 257, Virgin Channel 285) in five half-hour segments, starting next Sunday (24th May) at 6.30pm. It seems to be a weekly broadcast, as far as I know.

Comment

Has anyone seen In Search of Beethoven, if so, how is it?
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I saw the first episode on Sky Arts yesterday. Unfortunately, Sky have chopped it up into five half-hour segments - over five weeks - which was not the director's intention.
                      Apart from that, it was extremely well done and it avoided attention-seeking gimmicks. I was extremely impressed by Ronald Brautigam. He was demonstrating the difficulty in playing Beethoven's early piano concerto in E flat (WoO 4) and he had no qualms about showing himself making a complete hash of it - and admitting the fact. Another pianist (Emmanuel Ax actually) also drew attention to the fact that Beethoven must have had huge hands.
                      As I have said though, just as I was settling down to enjoy the programme, it was over. At the end, it was mentioned that a DVD was available, so I will probably wait for that instead of watching the frustratingly short episodes.
                      Last edited by Michael; 05-26-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you for that Michael. So there is not an actor playing Beethoven? I am glad if there is not an actor portraying Beethoven. That does stink that there are only 30 minute episodes.
                        Last edited by Preston; 05-26-2009, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Any hope of the series coming to Australia?

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes Selby View Post
                            Any hope of the series coming to Australia?
                            I don't know about that, Agnes, but at the end of the programme it was mentioned that a DVD was available, although I couldn't find any mention of it in the usual places.. As "In Search of Mozart" is currently available, it looks very likely that the Beethoven will surface eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                              Thank you for that Michael. So there is not an actor playing Beethoven? I am glad if there is not an actor portraying Beethoven. That does stink that there are only 30 minute episodes.
                              No - it's a straightforward documentary with some great contributors. I think Sky will eventually show it in full (in one programme, I mean), as it has done recently with the older film "In Search of Mozart".

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                No - it's a straightforward documentary with some great contributors. I think Sky will eventually show it in full (in one programme, I mean), as it has done recently with the older film "In Search of Mozart".
                                Thanks Michael. I think that is a good thing, that it doesn't have acting. The reason being is because a lot of historical personalities seem to be a very hard thing to capture.

I look forward to seeing it!

Comment

Working...
                                X