Chamber arrangements of Beethoven symphonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get all of that.

My confusion lies in the fact that so few of these arrangements have been recorded, despite the fact that they would appear to be unique and interesting ways of hearing some of the most frequently recorded classical music of all time. The fact that they were a flourishing business in Beethoven's time and that he was actually involved in some of the arrangements only adds to my puzzlement.

I ordered the chamber version of the Fifth Symphony by Pro Arte Antiqua Praha online and I'm looking forward to that.

Comment

Originally posted by JAC6 View Post
      I ordered the chamber version of the Fifth Symphony by Pro Arte Antiqua Praha online and I'm looking forward to that.
      I ordered it, too. It sounds superb. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I, like you, love seeking out recordings of the large-scale Beethoven works re-arranged for small-scale ensembles.

I have the Liszt transcriptions of the symphonies, recorded by Scherbakov in a Naxos box set.

My dream find would be a recording of the Missa Solemnis for (something like) 2 sopranos, 2 altos, 2 tenors, 2 basses -- & either piano accompaniment (using the Verlag urtext vocal score) or some sort of chamber instrumental support (a piano quintet, perhaps).

Just the other evening, I found a concert video recording (amateur) of the great Opferlied (Op. 121b) for soprano & chorus -- & piano accompaniment (probably from the Clayton Westermann print score edition published by Schirmer/Hal Leonard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu1MbsxRS0c

Edit: Wow! I just spotted the following on Amazon:

Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 Op. 92 (String Quartet Version) / Creatures of Prometheus Op. 43, Egmont Op. 84, and Fidelio Op. 72b Overtures (String Quartet Versions) [IMPORT]

Out of print, but used copies available for $74.99

http://snipurl.com/2r8xz

The label is Pony Canyon Inc. Japan.
      Last edited by DavidO; 06-30-2008, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Here's a 128-bitrate MP3 of the fourth movement of the Ninth Symphony, arranged by Wagner for piano & chorus:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yhdw6j

Bach Collegium
        Japan Chorus

Comment

Thanks for that version of the Ninth -- very interesting.

BEETHOVEN -- Contemporary Arrangements for Chamber Ensemble
          Symphony No. 1 in G major
          Symphony No. 8 in F major
          Pathetique Sonata

Players: The Locrian Ensemble

A bit from what appear to be the liner notes:
          In sanctioning arrangements of some of his own compositions for small chamber ensembles, Beethoven no doubt wished to promote his own work, and through increased public awareness of it, gain some commercial advantage. He was fortunate to be able to call on two outstandingly gifted pupils to write some of these. One was the composer and pianist Ferdinand Ries, 1784-1838. Born in Bonn, his father had taught the young Beethoven. At the age of 17, Ferdinand travelled to Vienna with his father’s letter of introduction. Already an excellent performer, Beethoven was happy to take him on as a pupil, giving him three lessons each week until Ries left Vienna in 1805. During this time he frequently worked as Beethoven’s copyist. Amongst the arrangements he made were the piano Sonatas Opus 10 no.3, the Pastorale, Opus 28, and La Chasse, Opus 31 no.3, all for string quartet. He also arranged the violin sonata Opus 30 no.2 for string quartet, and the second Symphony, Opus 36, for quartet, two double basses, flute and two horns.

Carl Czerny, 1791-1857, was another gifted pupil who arranged a number of Beethoven’s works. A child virtuoso, Czerny was already an accomplished pianist by the age of ten when Beethoven agreed to give him lessons. Technically brilliant and with a prodigious memory, Czerny (much encouraged by Beethoven) became Vienna’s most distinguished teacher, and later prepared and fingered an edition of Beethoven’s sonatas. Amongst his transcriptions of Beethoven’s works are the Leonora Overture no.2 for solo piano, the Symphony no.8, Opus 93, for two pianos, and The Consecration of the House, Opus 124, arranged for one and two pianos. After Beethoven’s death he published an edition of all nine symphonies arranged for two pianos.

The three arrangements for string quintet on this recording were all made during Beethoven’s lifetime, presumably with his approval although it is not clear who was responsible for the transcriptions. The first is a strikingly successful adaptation of the piano Sonata Opus 13, the Pathètique in C minor. Originally written in 1799, this arrangement was published in about 1807 by Tobias Haslinger who was perhaps also the arranger. Haslinger was again the publisher of the arrangement of the 8th Symphony in F major, Opus 93 which appeared in about 1816 only two years after the symphony’s first performance in Vienna. The third work on this disc is the 1st Symphony, Opus 21 in C major, first performed in 1800. The edition used in this recording was published in Bonn about 1803 by Simrock.

Hearing these familiar works in unfamiliar chamber versions is a surprising experience. Music we know well is suddenly transformed into something fresh and novel, yet at the same time instantly recognizable. The symphonies especially gain in clarity when stripped of their orchestral density and colour. Their musical argument is presented with a purity and directness that reveals its essential nature. The addition of a string quintet’s beauty of tone, variety of colour and sustained cantabile quality to the Pathètique sonata adds an entirely new dimension to the work. This recording gives us insight into the way many musicians might first have heard these works during Beethoven’s lifetime; even more interestingly, it casts a new and vivid light on the music for us in the 21st century.

http://www.guildmusic.com/catalog/gui7274z.htm

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO View Post
            Here's a 128-bitrate MP3 of the fourth movement of the Ninth Symphony, arranged by Wagner for piano & chorus:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yhdw6j

Bach Collegium
            Japan Chorus

I have the whole CD!!!
            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

The three arrangements for string quintet on this recording were all made during Beethoven’s lifetime, presumably with his approval although it is not clear who was responsible for the transcriptions. The first is a strikingly successful adaptation of the piano Sonata Opus 13, the Pathètique in C minor. Originally written in 1799, this arrangement was published in about 1807 by Tobias Haslinger who was perhaps also the arranger. Haslinger was again the publisher of the arrangement of the 8th Symphony in F major, Opus 93 which appeared in about 1816 only two years after the symphony’s first performance in Vienna. The third work on this disc is the 1st Symphony, Opus 21 in C major, first performed in 1800. The edition used in this recording was published in Bonn about 1803 by Simrock.
              And yet he was generally scathing of other people's efforts to arrange his music, claiming when he transcribed the E major sonata Op.14 for quartet that only he could have done a satisfactory job of it!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I found a link to the first movement of the Fifth Symphony arranged for a quintet performed by Pro Arte Antiqua Praha here.
                I received this CD recently and I've listened to it several times. It obviously sounds much thinner and less powerful than versions of the Fifth with a full orchestra, but it is quite enjoyable. It is a period instrument recording. Thus, it is intriguing to think that this is how many people might have initially heard Beethoven's music at the time. It's not going to replace other versions, but I'm glad I added it to my collection.

Comment

There is also a CD from the label Accent where the wind ensemble Octophoros (period instruments) plays the Seventh Symphony arranged by LvB for 9 part harmonia (and also Fidelio overture arranged by Wenzel Sediak). I haven't listend to it for a long time but I remember it as a great record.

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri View Post
                    There is also a CD from the label Accent where the wind ensemble Octophoros (period instruments) plays the Seventh Symphony arranged by LvB for 9 part harmonia (and also Fidelio overture arranged by Wenzel Sediak). I haven't listend to it for a long time but I remember it as a great record.
                    Are you sure about it being the 7th symphony? He did arrange the second part of Wellington's Sieg Op.91 for Maelzel's panharmonicon.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I too own the Accent CD (ACC 48434D) containing Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 "in the composer's version for nine part Harmonie first published in 1816 by S.A. Steiner and Comp. (Vienna)". The disc includes a wind arrangement of the Fidelio Overture by Wenzel Sedlak, published 1815. The symphony is quite effective, its chief damning sin being abridgement.

-Decrepit

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
                        I too own the Accent CD (ACC 48434D) containing Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 "in the composer's version for nine part Harmonie first published in 1816 by S.A. Steiner and Comp. (Vienna)". The disc includes a wind arrangement of the Fidelio Overture by Wenzel Sedlak, published 1815. The symphony is quite effective, its chief damning sin being abridgement.

-Decrepit
                        Interesting Decrepit - do you have a Hess number for it as it's not listed in the Beethoven compendium?
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter;

I, too, would be interested in the Hess numbers. I have the New Hess Catalog in which there is a piano arrangement fragment of the beginning of the 7th symphony (Hess 96), and the Wellington Victory piano arrangement (Hess 97). I can not find the 9 part Harmonie version by Beethoven of the 7th.
                          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I re-read the disc program notes for the first time in twenty years. No special catalog number is given for the Symphony transcription. The article seems deliberately vague on issues of authenticity. Indeed, reading in detail leads one to believe that Beethoven supervised or at least authorized the arrangement rather than authored it.

At one point the article states, "In 1816 Beethoven personally issued his 7th and 8th symphonies in various versions edited by S.A. Steiner. <snip> 'All these editions were completed under the direct supervision of their creator, Herr Ludwig van Beethoven'." But the versions mentioned (orchestral, string quartet, piano trio, etc.) do not include wind band. Later, while discussing of the habit of arrangers to make wholesale cuts in symphonic works, it says "...but the master himself intervened even more drastically in his Seventh - or at least authorized it."

Based on the above, I'd guess that, at best, Beethoven sanctioned and possibly oversaw someone else's work.

-Decrepit

Comment

Chandos recorded the wind-band version of symphony No. 7. Go here and open the booklet PDF. Sadly, it states little more than that authenticity is uncertain.

-Decrepit

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
                                Chandos recorded the wind-band version of symphony No. 7. Go here and open the booklet PDF. Sadly, it states little more than that authenticity is uncertain.

-Decrepit
                                Thanks Decrepit - it appears from the notes that there were numerous arrangements of the 7th and I think it unlikely Beethoven was responsible for all if any! I suspect it would have been listed both in the Compendium and the new Hess catalogure referred to by Hofrat had it been genuine.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X