Beethoven's Ritterballet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    I think I am always fair, but robust. You accused me once of "diverting" from the questions at hand; I hope I have disabused you of this opinion.
    Providing you accept I don't read the Daily Mail - never been accused of something so terrible before!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Providing you accept I don't read the Daily Mail - never been accused of something so terrible before!
      Accepted. Please don't tell me you read The Sun. Please.

Comment

Accepted. Please don't tell me you read The Sun. Please.
        Are you suggesting I divine my thoughts using a heliograph?
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Are you suggesting I divine my thoughts using a heliograph?
          Hah! What, received opinion via gamma rays? Why not? So long as you don't read the rag called The Sun Newspaper (rather, comic, like The Beano but with topless girls on Page 3!). Just for your information, I read the Guardian, but I am far from satisfied with it. In fact, there is no British newspaper that I really enjoy, their political positions are too predictable. So, for me, the Guardian is the "best" of a bad bunch, really.

Anyway, enough of this banter, let's get back to Solomon and the IB. I want to tell you that my first approach has been to ask German colleagues of mine here in Strasbourg to read the Thayer source documents you have referred to and check if Solomon has mistranslated them or not. I must say that my colleagues are not inclined to fall over themselves to do this (family and other work commitments and so on), but they have agreed in principle to help me. I must await their comments.
          Last edited by Quijote; 07-25-2008, 04:18 PM. Reason: My poor spelling after another "liquid" lunch

Comment

Sorry, I've just realised my posting above is on the wrong thread. All these various threads are hard to manage, frankly.

Comment

Hah! What, received opinion via gamma rays? Why not? So long as you don't read the rag called The Sun Newspaper (rather, comic, like The Beano but with topless girls on Page 3!).
              Hey, don't dis The Beano. I read it all the time (true).

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                Hi Preston, Beethoven's "Ritterballet" music is a rarely heard gem ....A report found in Bonn tells us that this ballet dealt with favourite pastimes of that time such as the hunt, the battle, etc. There's a march, a hunting, song, a romance, a battle song, a drinking song, etc.
                And as happened with more music from his early years (the quartets WoO 36, the Kurfürstensonaten WoO 47, the Cantata WoO 90 e.g.) Beethoven returned to at least one tune from the Ritterballet in a later composition.
                The Deutscher Gesang (no.2, German song) returns in the sonata opus 79 as first theme in the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  And as happened with more music from his early years (the quartets WoO 36, the Kurfürstensonaten WoO 47, the Cantata WoO 90 e.g.) Beethoven returned to at least one tune from the Ritterballet in a later composition.
                  The Deutscher Gesang (no.2, German song) returns in the sonata opus 79 as first theme in the finale.
                  Yikes! You're dead right. Never spotted that!

Comment

Working...
                  X