X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bombast

"News item: Philadelphia Enquirer:

Bryn Mawr Beethoven

Singing City performs Beethoven's bombastic Missa Solemnis at Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church. The ensemble last performed and recorded this work in 1967 with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. $35 to $40. 4 p.m. Church at 625 Montgomery Ave. 215-569-9067."

End of news item.

This is not the first time I have come across the word “bombastic” in reference to Beethoven’s work. The last time it was used by a conductor and he intended it as a compliment. I am sure the writer of the above thought he/she was praising the Missa Solemnis but my Collins English Dictionary defines the word “bombastic” as:
    “histrionic, inflated, pompous, ranting, turgid, verbose, windy, wordy.”
    Oh yeah, that’s the “Missa Solemnis” alright!

I had some good friends in college -- they were trained choral singers -- who often referred to Beethoven's choral writing as bombastic, inept, &c. (we all know the drill).

People here & there have felt that way about Beethoven's writing for voice (& some of his orchestral writing, too) since . . . Beethoven was alive, I suppose. You remember the Ruskin quote: "Beethoven always sounds to me like the upsetting of a bag of nails, with here & there an also dropped hammer." I chalk it all up to varied tastes.

Furthermore, I can't possibly imagine anyone's using "bombastic" in anything but a negative sense. But now I'm laughing a little to myself: I'm thinking of that moment in "Calm Sea & Prosperous Voyage" when the singers wake the dead!

Comment

Yes, I really don't mind it so much when people use the word to denigrate a work but nowadays most people seem to use it as a term of praise.

Comment

Bombast ??

If the word 'bombast' can be used as an adjective applied to the monumental MS.. then what bit of verbiage can best describe the Op 125?

IMHO, among the best adjectives to apply to the MS are GLORIOUS and SUBLIME!

The trip from its Kyrie, through the Gloria, into the Credo, past the Sanctus and into the Agnus Dei terminating with the plea of Dona Nobis Pacem is an incrediby GLORIOUS and SUBLIME musical and mystical experience.
        Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Perhaps I am a bit old fashioned on this one. Bombastic implies to me a bit over the top, exaggerated, and excessive.

Comment

Working...
          X