Thank u ..^_^..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank u ..^_^..

I want to know something about "Rage over a lost penny"(Op.129),could you tell me?

Thanks a lot

[This message has been edited by beethovenian (edited 07-26-2001).]

Originally posted by beethovenian:
    I want to know something about "Rage over a lost penny"(Op.129),could you tell me?

Thanks a lot

[This message has been edited by beethovenian (edited 07-26-2001).]
    Off the top of my head, the work was only published after Beethoven's death by Diabeli. I believe a small part of the manuscript was missing, and it may be that Diabeli himself restored the piece. It is thought the work is from B's early period, ie mid 1790's. It's a highly original conception, especially if the product of the 1790's.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Rod's right. It was published after Beethoven's death. Probably completed by Diabelli who published it in 1828. The autograph is in a private collection in Providence, Rhode Island. The complete title is thought to have been added by Anton Schindler. Written around 1725 but worked on again by Beethoven about 1825. Supposedly
      the idea for this tune came about while Beethoven was watching someone try to retrieve a penny from under a couch and while watching this rather halarious event came up with the song. It's a fun song to play on the piano also.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Rod's right. It was published after Beethoven's death. Probably completed by Diabelli who published it in 1828. The autograph is in a private collection in Providence, Rhode Island. The complete title is thought to have been added by Anton Schindler. Written around 1725 but worked on again by Beethoven about 1825. Supposedly
        the idea for this tune came about while Beethoven was watching someone try to retrieve a penny from under a couch and while watching this rather halarious event came up with the song. It's a fun song to play on the piano also.

Joy
        I agree with you guys...that is funny how Beethoven came up with that tittle.

Comment

Just checked up on a few things that have been said here, in the interests of correctness.

The full title written on the manuscript was - 'Rage over a lost penny, stormed out in a caprice' - but it was not in Beethoven's hand. It was probably the publisher (or Schindler?) who penned these words. B's title was 'Alla ingharese quasi un capriccio'. The autograph was not finished and Diabelli's edition was a poor arrangement with ommissions and errors. The autograph was lost but was resurrected in 1945 and the edition we have today is not Diabelli's but by Hertzmann, based on the autograph, and published in 1949.

I've read no evidence that B worked on the piece in the 1820's - analysis of the manuscript and sketches places it in the mid-1790's. The 5 octave keyboard requirement also favours the earlier date.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-27-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Just checked up on a few things that have been said here, in the interests of correctness.

The full title written on the manuscript was - 'Rage over a lost penny, stormed out in a caprice' - but it was not in Beethoven's hand. It was probably the publisher (or Schindler?) who penned these words. B's title was 'Alla ingharese quasi un capriccio'. The autograph was not finished and Diabelli's edition was a poor arrangement with ommissions and errors. The autograph was lost but was resurrected in 1945 and the edition we have today is not Diabelli's but by Hertzmann, based on the autograph, and published in 1949.

I've read no evidence that B worked on the piece in the 1820's - analysis of the manuscript and sketches places it in the mid-1790's. The 5 octave keyboard requirement also favours the earlier date.
            Thanks for straightening some of that out, Rod. The autograph which is now in Providence, Rhode Island, that I elluded too,
            reveals many differences from most published versions. The music I have is taken from a facsimile of that. I did read, however, that B worked on this piece in the 1820's during the time he was working on the 9th Symphony.
            Now, of course, that could be wrong. Also, isn't this one of the items found in his desk drawer after his death along with the Immortal Beloved letters and bank notes? Again, that could be wrong too!!

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

Now, of course, that could be wrong. Also, isn't this one of the items found in his desk drawer after his death along with the Immortal Beloved letters and bank notes? Again, that could be wrong too!!

Joy
              Well, it was typical of B to keep even his very old manuscripts without working on them. I suppose you never know when an old tune might come in handy, as in the finale of Fidelio.

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X