Recordings of Op 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recordings of Op 101

I'm very puzzled by the fact that many recordings of Piano Sonata No 28, Op. 101, divide the final part into two separate tracks. This part consists of a Langsam und sehnsuchtsvoll introduction, then a brief repeat of the opening theme of the first movement, followed immediately by a trill which leads without a break into the Allegro finale. But many recordings introduce a break by putting the first two parts on one track and the Allegro fonale on another. These include recordings by Arrau, Fischer, Gilels, Kempff, Lortie, Schnabel and Solomon. Recordings by Brendel, Gulda and Paul Lewis put everything on one track, so that the trill is not annoyingly and absurdly interrupted. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

Regardless of where they put the track breaks, you should be getting no interruption of the trill, unless you have some weird CD player/software that inserts track breaks on its own

Comment

Recordings of Op. 101

There is a break on all these CDs, and I don't think there's anything weird about my CD player: I'm using RealPlayer on a PC. I've removed the break by joining the tracks using an MP3 editor. I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed the interruption, e.g. on the DG CD by Kempff (453 111-2)
      Last edited by rhs; 04-11-2008, 01:42 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Comment

RealPlayer is some pretty ridiculous software, actually. Try it in a regular CD player, portable, in a car, whatever, and I bet you won't get any interruption.

Comment

Many thanks. No interruotion when played through Media Player, though I've had other problems with this. Is there any non-flaky software for playing CDs through a PC - more precisely for playing CD tracks saved to a HD?

Comment

What OS are you running - Windows? It sounds like you tried Windows Media Player already, yes? Did it not meet your needs?

Also, sometimes there will be an option in the software that inserts these track breaks, and it is on by default (for some reason I don't understand).

Comment

Originally posted by rhs View Post
              Many thanks. No interruotion when played through Media Player, though I've had other problems with this. Is there any non-flaky software for playing CDs through a PC - more precisely for playing CD tracks saved to a HD?
              I use VLC. It runs pretty well for me and is not as obnoxious (visually) as other media players.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                RealPlayer is some pretty ridiculous software, actually. Try it in a regular CD player, portable, in a car, whatever, and I bet you won't get any interruption.
                You're right, Chris: no break when I play the Arrau, Gilels, Kempff, Schnabel and Solomon CDs on a CD player. But there's still a break with the Fischer and Lortie CDs, which I burned from MP3 files downloaded from classicsonline.com. So I suspect that the break is introduced when the CD tracks are saved on to my Hard Disk in MP3 format. I just tried saving Gilels using iTunes, and got no break: but the tracks were saved in AAC audio format, so maybe MP3 is the culprit. I'll have a look at VLC, Sorrano: it certainly LOOKS better than other players.

Comment

Originally posted by rhs View Post
                  You're right, Chris: no break when I play the Arrau, Gilels, Kempff, Schnabel and Solomon CDs on a CD player. But there's still a break with the Fischer and Lortie CDs, which I burned from MP3 files downloaded from classicsonline.com. So I suspect that the break is introduced when the CD tracks are saved on to my Hard Disk in MP3 format. I just tried saving Gilels using iTunes, and got no break: but the tracks were saved in AAC audio format, so maybe MP3 is the culprit. I'll have a look at VLC, Sorrano: it certainly LOOKS better than other players.
                  No, it's the burning software. There is almost always an option on burners to insert track breaks between the mp3s. You just have to find that option and turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    No, it's the burning software. There is almost always an option on burners to insert track breaks between the mp3s. You just have to find that option and turn it off.
                    It's not a question of burning, Chris, but of saving tracks from a CD to a Hard Disk. It looks as if it's the RealPlayer software, for the break occurs when AAC-formatted tracks are played through RealPlayer but not when played through iTunes. I don't think there's an option regarding track breaks when saving (as against burning) in RealPlayer. Furthermore, there's no break when te CDs themselves are played through RealPlayer.
                    Last edited by rhs; 04-13-2008, 01:19 AM. Reason: further observation

Comment

Yes, that is also possible. Frankly, I haven't heard of anyone using Real Player for like 10 years. I'd just stick with Windows Media Player. Or download the Combined Community Codec Pack and use Media Player Classic. That's a great simple, light-weight package that comes with all the video and audio codecs you could ever need.

Comment

Working...
                      X