On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

March 26th, 1827 Beethoven dies. News also arrived from the shores of the Rhine: editor Schott sent him from Manz a case of wine. But, Beethoven’s condition was so bad at this point that he barely took a sip of that wine.
    On March 24th Beethoven signed his last will and testament, leaving everything he had to his nephew Karl. On the 26th, Breuning and Schindler went to see about a burial place at the cemetery, leaving Hutenbrenner alone with the now dying Beethoven.
    Here is how Romain Rolland describes Beethoven’s final day: "That day was tragic. There were heavy clouds in the sky… around 4 or 5 in the afternoon the murky clouds cast darkness in the entire room. Suddenly a terrible storm started, with blizzard and snow… thunder made the room shudder, illuminating it with the cursed reflection of lightning on snow. Beethoven opened his eyes and with a threatening gesture raised his right arm towards the sky with his fist clenched. The expression of his face was horrifying. His hand fell to the ground. His eyes closed. Beethoven was no more."
    'Truth and beauty joined'

RIP, Beethoven. I pray you are composing for the choirs of angels now!

Comment

I always forget this date! Thanks for the reminder, Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I always forget this date! Thanks for the reminder, Joy.
        Your welcome!
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
        X