New profile of Mozart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New profile of Mozart

Have you heard about the new portrait and look of Mozart? For a glimpse of the 'new look' and the story check this out.

http://performancetoday.publicradio.org/
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I do not know what the artist who painted that portrait got, but he should have got life in prison! That is a terrible portrait.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Maybe Mozart just looked like that. At least it's better than the neutral chocolate-box images we usually get. There is really only one decent painting of Mozart and that is the unfinished one - I don't know the artist's name.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Maybe Mozart just looked like that. At least it's better than the neutral chocolate-box images we usually get. There is really only one decent painting of Mozart and that is the unfinished one - I don't know the artist's name.
        That is by his brother-in-law, Joseph Lange. It is my favorite also, I think it captures the real man, not some Romanticized ideal of him.

----------------
        Now playing:
        New York PO / Bernstein Rudolf Serkin - Bia 337 Op 37 Concerto #3 in c for Piano 3rd mvmt - Rondo: Allegro
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This same portrait is causing a big discussion on the MozartForum. I think he looks more like Franz Joseph Haydn than Mozart, the nose especially. The pictures below are of Haydn on the left and Mozart on the right.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

The problem with eighteenth-century portraits is the deadening effect of wigs. Any two people with long thin faces and patrician noses can look almost identical

Comment

Working...
            X