Clear All

Seeing Alfred Brendel tomorrow!

Woo! Should be great. He's playing:

Joseph Haydn: Variations in F Minor Hob:XVII/6
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Sonata in F Major, K 533/K 494
    Ludwig van Beethoven: Sonata in E Flat Major, op. 27, No. 1
    Franz Schubert: Sonata in B Flat Major, D 960

A little of everything!

Anyone near Washington D.C. also attending?

Lucky you Chris - I hope to see him at Glyndebourne. For anyone else interested in seeing the legendary pianist live for the last time, here is a list of his concerts:
    http://www.deccaclassics.com/artists...el/bottomc.htm
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Lucky you Chris - I hope to see him at Glyndebourne. For anyone else interested in seeing the legendary pianist live for the last time, here is a list of his concerts:
      http://www.deccaclassics.com/artists...el/bottomc.htm

That's great Peter, should be a wonderful performance .
      What will Alfred be playing?.
      We booked well in advance when he was scheduled to played at the Royal Albert Hall and the Royal Festival Hall , and secured good seats near the front with a good view.

Thank you for the link to his forthcoming performances, that is some schedule for 2008. Hopefully we can book up in June, when he is in Birmingham.

The Guardian tells us he will play his last concert on December 18, 2008 in the Vienna Musikverein. A fitting location for 'Britain's greatest living pianist', as the Guardian describes him, considering his emphasis on Austro-German programming. He will be 77 by then and will have performed on stage for 60 years - perhaps enough for anyone.

May he enjoy a long and happy retirement..

Last edited by Megan; 03-23-2008, 08:12 AM.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I just heard him perform this program at his last concert at Carnegie Hall. It was extremely well done and he was generous enough to play 3 encores. It was also nice to hear Op 27 no 1 after I had just performed it in December.

Comment

Yes, I just got back, and it was amazing! We also got three encores!

Comment

What a coincidence! I'm just listening to him playing "per elisa" and "polonaise op.89". This 3 CD "variations" set bought on Amazon is Great .

Comment

You mean "Variations and Vignettes?" Yes, that is a great set. I don't much care for the "Fur Elise" on it, though. The 6 Ecossaises, WoO 83, is one of my favorites; I had never heard it before buying this set.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                You mean "Variations and Vignettes?" Yes, that is a great set. I don't much care for the "Fur Elise" on it, though. The 6 Ecossaises, WoO 83, is one of my favorites; I had never heard it before buying this set.
                Glad you enjoyed seeing Brendel, Chris. It must be the same "Fur Elise" that I have on a Vox set because I don't care much for it either, and Brendel gives the same impression. He is still my number one Beethoven pianist, though.

Comment

Working...
                X