• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leonard Bernstein on the Eroica

How a Great Symphony Was Written
    Leonard Bernstein
    Recorded Dec. 20, 1965

www.sendspace.com/file/5kmlb3

Somewhere in my archives I have a book containing several of Bernstein's lectures to the young and one of those he talks a bit about the Eroica. I don't know if the material would be the same (I guess I can find out) but I appreciate the link. I first came across the book as a young man and it left an indelible impression upon my mind, in particular about Beethoven.

Comment

When I bought my vinyl edition of Bernstein conducting "Eroica" ( a long long time ago), it came with that Bernstein lecture recorded on a little vinyl record. I still have that recording but I lack the technology that will allow me to listen to it again.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Thanks a lot for posting this - very interesting!

Comment

The CD of Lennie's recording of the Eroica that is included in the "Original Jackets" box collection of recordings by him has what I think is the little talk you mentioned on the end of it. Not certain whether that CD is available as a stand alone currently though. Whilst we're on the subject of Bernstein the teacher, I've just seen the book of his six lectures in his classic " The Unanswered Question" series. Does anyone know where I could source the CD or better still the DVD of these lectures as my music reading skills aren't up to following the examples without hearing them and Lennie is just so much more fun in person than on the page....
          Beethoven the Man!

Comment

There is a fascinating excerpt here: (The one entitled "Bernstein at Harvard".

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...n&search_type=

Comment

Peter;

Please do something about this unsolicited ad. If I am not mistaken, this is the second time it has appeared.

Thank you.
              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
              X