Nelson Freire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nelson Freire

Nelson Freire is scheduled to perform Beethoven's Piano Concerto Number 4 at Strathmore Hall next year. It's time for me to renew or not renew my season tickets. The upcoming season is definitely not as exciting as this year's was, and I'm not sure if I'll be renewing. I can switch around between about 15 choices, if I subscribe to six and trade some for other concerts, which is permitted. This one concert is probably going to be the deciding factor. There are two concerts I'd really like to go to, three I'd enjoy but not compellingly, and this one for the possible sixth. Does anyone here have an opinion of Freire's performance? Is it a "Don't Miss It!"? Is it a "Go see something else?" Or somewhere in between?

Usually his playing is very good. Sometimes it's fabulous, but I think I got the misfortune to see him just when he was in a 'naxos repertoire filler' day.
    He played a Waldstein that was just par.
    Even so, his recordings tend to be great, I have his Chopin and Brahms cds for Decca and also an old Schubert one for Sony, and they are all very good.

To sum it up, I'd go if I were you, but I don't know if it is worth an entire season on its behalf.
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Nelson Freire's recording of Beethoven's "Tempest" sonata was my introduction to this work about thirty years ago. Long gone to Vinyl Valhalla, I can't remember how it compares with other versions, but since I played it half to death, it can't have been bad.

Comment

Working...
      X