The earth moved for Vivaldi, 4th March,1678

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The earth moved for Vivaldi, 4th March,1678

An earthquake shook Venice 330 years ago marking the birth of Vivaldi, born on March 4th 1678.

Happy birthday Vivaldi !

Among contemporaries who appreciated Vivaldi was J. S. Bach, who transcr. 10 Vivaldi concs. as hpd. or org. concs. Like Bach's, Vivaldi's mus. fell out of favour for many years, but the 20th cent., in particular since the revival of interest in authentic methods of performing baroque mus., has seen it re-est. Once regarded merely as the composer of works for str., his genius as an opera composer is now recognized (he said he wrote 94, but fewer than 50 are extant) as well as the Venetian splendour of his church mus. No composer did more to establish the vc. as a solo instr., and he displayed a keen interest in the use of unusual instr.: it is the infinite variety and invention of his work that has made it so beloved 300 years after his birth. There have been several catalogues of his work, the most recent (Leipzig 1974) by Peter Ryom (works are numbered with the prefix RV = Ryom-Verzeichnis). Prin. works:

Last edited by Megan; 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM.
    🎹

Thanks for that Megan. I heard that on my classical music station this morning along with some of his works.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
      Thanks for that Megan. I heard that on my classical music station this morning along with some of his works.

That's nice Joy, you seem to have a good classical radio station where you are.

Pity there wasn't more interest shown here. Usually members are all falling over each other to put happy Birthday Beethoven or Mozart.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post

Pity there wasn't more interest shown here. Usually members are all falling over each other to put happy Birthday Beethoven or Mozart.
        You're not too badly off, Megan. All I hear on our one classical music station is Mozart. Now, I like Mozart very much but not 24 hours a day.
        (I'm exaggerating, of course, but it does feel like that every time I switch on. The result is that I listen to less music on radio.)
        Now, Beethoven 24 hours a day I could live with .........

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          You're not too badly off, Megan. All I hear on our one classical music station is Mozart. Now, I like Mozart very much but not 24 hours a day.
          (I'm exaggerating, of course, but it does feel like that every time I switch on. The result is that I listen to less music on radio.)
          Now, Beethoven 24 hours a day I could live with .........

Michael ,
          At risk of getting a roasting here, I have to say that I tire easily of Beethoven's symphonies after hearing them numerous times. In particular the 9th symphony choral piece, as I am of the belief that the excessive height of some parts make the vioce distorted and difficult to produce, and it reduces considerably the volume and power of the sound.
          I'm sorry , but I have gone off it.
          Ouch !

Of course I love Beethven's String Quartets , Sonatas and Concertos.
          I love Baroque music too.
          Last edited by Megan; 03-06-2008, 02:24 PM.
          🎹

Comment

I was joking about the 24 hours a day. Of course you can get tired of anything if it's played too often. There is so much variety in Beethoven, however, that I am always in the mood for something by him. If I get sick of the symphonies for a while, I give them a rest and start on the sonatas, etc.
            Whatever about the painful soloists that appear on too many recordings of the Ninth, I think that work (and the Missa Solemnis) are very hard to reproduce on CD, unless you have a sound system costing more than your house.
            (I've just noticed that I seem to be changing the topic all the time lately so I'd better stop. This thread is about Vivaldi, isn't it?)

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
              It is a good station and they play the entire piece of music not just certain movements which I know annoys some people.

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael;39122]I was joking about the 24 hours a day. Of course you can get tired of anything if it's played too often. There is so much variety in Beethoven, however, that I am always in the mood for something by him. If I get sick of the symphonies for a while, I give them a rest and start on the sonatas, etc.
                (QUOTE]

Quite right Michael. There's a saying 'too much of a good thing' and that can be applied in music too. I agree that I am always in the mood for something by Mister B myself and often rotate. However, if something is on the radio by him I usually have to listen to the end no matter. I hate shutting him off.

In agreement with Megan about the 9th. I couldn't listen to that piece every day even though it's high on the list for me. I bring that one out on certain occassions. I think the symphony halls feel that way too as they usually perform it every few years or so not as a steady. It's very special!

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                  It is a good station and they play the entire piece of music not just certain movements which I know annoys some people.
                  NPR usually plays the whole piece. Although, I have Sirius through Dish Network and it is excellent. The only problem is that they do not have enough classical channels, ! Actually they have 3. Which I guess isn't that bad. They have something like Sirius 80- Classical, Sirius 86- Opera, Sirius 87- Classical Favorites. They play the whole piece through and have interviews sometimes.

Happy Birthday Vivaldi, think I might have to pull out my Four Seasons cds.
                  Preston
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                  X