No announcement yet.

Liszt/beethoven transcriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imslp.org had them all. Too bad they were shut down They are supposed to come back, though... Still, I like to have music in nice books. Sadly, there is no Henle edition of these works.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      I am certain the Liszt transcriptions are all for solo piano. I am fairly sure he never personally made one for two pianos, but not absolutely certain on that.
      Liszt's transcriptions of the Beethoven symphonies are not as straightforward as it looks

In Searle's/Howard's catalogue (S.) we find:

no.1 as S.464/1 (arr.1863/'64)

no.2 as S.464/2 (arr.1863/'64)

no.3 as S.464/3 (arr.1863/'64),
      but the 2nd mvt exists in an earlier version from 1841 (S.463e)

no.4 as S.464/4 (arr.1863/'64)

no.5 as S.463a (arr.1837),
      but there is a complete later one (ca.1863) as well (S.464/5).

No.6 as S.463b (1837),
      a separate finale from 1840 as S.463c,
      and there is a complete later one (ca.1863) as well (S.464/6).

No.7 as S.643d (1837)
      and here there is a complete later one (ca.1863/'64) too (S.464/7).

No.8 as S.464/8 (1863/'64)

No.9 as S.464/9 (1863/'64)

All these transcriptions are for solo piano.

However, Symphony no.9 exists in a version for two piano's as well, S.657, an arrangement dating from 1851

Comment

I too have the Cyprien Katsaris version Gurn - on mine he talks about how he has added to the 6th - at times it feels like I am hearing an orchestra!
        Only the 3rd does not really work for me.

Comment

Liszt transcriptions: Scherbakov

There is a new release of the Liszt transcriptions, "Symphonies On A Steinway" / Konstantin Scherbakov. This is the CD pick of the week on my local classical station, and they sound great to me. The 5-disc set is on sale this week at Arikvmusic.com and I just ordered a set.
          - Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susanwen View Post
            There is a new release of the Liszt transcriptions, "Symphonies On A Steinway" / Konstantin Scherbakov. This is the CD pick of the week on my local classical station, and they sound great to me. The 5-disc set is on sale this week at Arikvmusic.com and I just ordered a set.
            - Susan
            That sounds like a repackaging of the Naxos recordings. I have both that and the Cyprien Katsaris set, and they are both absolutely amazing and worth buying.

Comment

I love Gould's recording of the 6th -- among my favorites, and I for one love the way he elongates the 2nd movement, yes it is over the top, but totally mesmerizing, like he couldn't help himself, just let yourself go....It's fully available at You Tube. He released recordings of the 5th and 6th.....the 6th figures prominently in opening of great Gould doc from past year, which has also been playing on PBS the past couple weeks....

Comment

Working...
              X