Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missa Solemnis

Hello all,

My old copy of Missa Solemnis got scratched beyond repair. As far as the recording itself went, I believe there has to be better available.

So the question is, which recording/s of the Missa Solemnis is/are the best? For that matter, which recording/s of Mozart's Requiem is/are the best?

Thanks!

TC
    Last edited by TiberiaClaudia; 02-14-2008, 11:52 AM. Reason: grammar
    "He lays entombed in the sepulchre of immortality." -Anonymous

"Wine is both necessary and good for me." -LVB

Not sure what recordings you have but I have - English Baroque Soloists/Elliot Gardiner and an unusual recommendation for me of Klemperer - New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by TiberiaClaudia View Post
      Hello all,

My old copy of Missa Solemnis got scratched beyond repair. As far as the recording itself went, I believe there has to be better available.

So the question is, which recording/s of the Missa Solemnis is/are the best? For that matter, which recording/s of Mozart's Requiem is/are the best?

Thanks!

TC

That's a very good question because of the enormous choices available. My feeling, without having heard the Arturo Toscanini version (which I've got to track down one of these days) is that the 1967() version, Herbert v Karajan at the podium, may be the best in non-scratchy recordings. It has been re-released in CD format.

Another version which is rather interesting, is that conducted live by Daniel Barenboim. It was badly organized by Erato over 2 CD's which for reasons unknown, left a huge amount of blank space on the second one. (Erato actually charged the price of 2 full CD's thereby fuelling the desire to never again buy anything Erato). It has some exquisite moments, like the Dona Nobis Pacem, and the Gloria entry and its Amen. But then Barenboim has a tendency of putting his ego ahead of the composer, causing some rather uncomfortable moments.

Overall... it seems that you would want really several differing recordings... because all of the performances have their good moments and parts whose interpretation will not suit your tastes.

Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Originally posted by Ateach Asc View Post

That's a very good question because of the enormous choices available. My feeling, without having heard the Arturo Toscanini version (which I've got to track down one of these days) is that the 1967() version, Herbert v Karajan at the podium, may be the best in non-scratchy recordings. It has been re-released in CD format.

Another version which is rather interesting, is that conducted live by Daniel Barenboim. It was badly organized by Erato over 2 CD's which for reasons unknown, left a huge amount of blank space on the second one. (Erato actually charged the price of 2 full CD's thereby fuelling the desire to never again buy anything Erato). It has some exquisite moments, like the Dona Nobis Pacem, and the Gloria entry and its Amen. But then Barenboim has a tendency of putting his ego ahead of the composer, causing some rather uncomfortable moments.

Overall... it seems that you would want really several differing recordings... because all of the performances have their good moments and parts whose interpretation will not suit your tastes.

I quite like the Toscanini version. My favorite is a Leonard Bernstein performance with the New York Phil. I believe it is dated in the '60's, but I'm not sure on that. The record is no longer in my possession and I don't recall if I have it on CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ateach Asc View Post

One of our former members, Rod, firmly believed that if the "Missa Solemnis" didn't fit on one CD, the performance was too slow! However, my favourite performances are the ones mentioned above: the Klemperer and Bernstein and all are on two CDs but contain substantial fillers. They were bought about fifteen years ago but they seem to be still available.

Try these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Mi.../dp/B000058USU

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...Missa+Solemnis

(There are two Bernsteins in the last link. The third down is the one I have.
          Last edited by Michael; 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I think Klemperer performed Beethoven much too slow. I had an LP of his conducting the Beethoven 5th symphony and it was so agonizingly slow that it took 2 full sides of the LP. I never trusted a Klemperer recording since.

I have never seen a recording of Missa Solemnis on 2 CD's, but would it not depend on the size of the CD? Several years ago, Sony came out with 650 MB CD's, and for a few years that was the standard in the industry. Did anyone wonder why 650 MB? Well, the CEO of Sony loved Beethoven's 9th symphony, and 650 MB is the size that is needed to record the 9th on one CD.

Similiarly, RCA came out with 33 1/3 RPM LP's because someone there loved Beethoven's 5th symphony and that is the speed needed to get it all on one side of an LP.

Beethoven has influenzed the recording industry!
            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
              I think Klemperer performed Beethoven much too slow. I had an LP of his conducting the Beethoven 5th symphony and it was so agonizingly slow that it took 2 full sides of the LP. I never trusted a Klemperer recording since.

I have never seen a recording of Missa Solemnis on 2 CD's, but would it not depend on the size of the CD? Several years ago, Sony came out with 650 MB CD's, and for a few years that was the standard in the industry. Did anyone wonder why 650 MB? Well, the CEO of Sony loved Beethoven's 9th symphony, and 650 MB is the size that is needed to record the 9th on one CD.

Similiarly, RCA came out with 33 1/3 RPM LP's because someone there loved Beethoven's 5th symphony and that is the speed needed to get it all on one side of an LP.

Beethoven has influenzed the recording industry!
              That is so interesting. Will Beethoven's influence never cease?! Let's hope not.
              Last edited by Joy; 02-15-2008, 02:54 PM. Reason: sp
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post

I agree which is why I would normally never recommend Klemperer for Beethoven - however his Missa Solemnis was the first version of the work I owned and it is majestic.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think Klemperer's Fidelio is also fantastic - the best one I have heard.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hofrat;39004]I think Klemperer performed Beethoven much too slow. I had an LP of his conducting the Beethoven 5th symphony and it was so agonizingly slow that it took 2 full sides of the LP. I never trusted a Klemperer recording since.

Klemperer can be agonisingly slow. During one of his recordings, Walter Legge had to protest at the slow tempo, and the answer he got from Klemperer was: "They'll get used to it."
                    The slowest of all recorded Beethoven symphonies, however, has to be Bohm's Ninth.

Comment

My choice would be Klemperer. His vision of this gigantic work is worthy of the composer. I like especially Klemperer's handling of the fugues - "In gloria Dei Patris" - what tremendous power! The tempo is just right to bring out the majesty of God. Only the violin solo in Benedictus isn't as satisfying as it is in some modern versions.
                      I once attended a live performance - conducted by Nello Santi. It was a disaster - because of the conductor's imprecise tempogivings.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Not sure what recordings you have but I have - English Baroque Soloists/Elliot Gardiner and an unusual recommendation for me of Klemperer - New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus.
                        Those are exactly the two I own & listen to, Peter! So let me second the recommendation.

I used to have the Bernstein on vinyl, but both it & my vinyl player are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          I quite like the Toscanini version. My favorite is a Leonard Bernstein performance with the New York Phil. I believe it is dated in the '60's, but I'm not sure on that. The record is no longer in my possession and I don't recall if I have it on CD.
                          That was the vinyl I had, I believe. It had an angel's gown & wings on the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO View Post
                            That was the vinyl I had, I believe. It had an angel's gown & wings on the cover.
                            But isn't this Leonard Bernstein with C o n c e r t g e b o u w -orchestra?

Comment

Originally posted by Johan View Post
                              But isn't this Leonard Bernstein with C o n c e r t g e b o u w -orchestra?
                              The one that I refer to is with the New York Philharmonic. Bernstein has another recording, I think more recently, with the Concertgebouw. Check this link out for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-West...3298901&sr=1-7

:-)

Comment

Working...
                              X