Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anton Felix Schindler

A couple questions about Schindler:

You all know that, for whatever reason, Schindler kind of fascinates me. I recently read that he was living with a woman named Apollonia on this site after LvB died. Was Schindler ever married? Did he have children? What did he do after Beethoven died? Further practice law? I read he came to Vienna as a law student.

Where was he buried? For that matter, what did he die of?

Oh--and one more: What is the approximate date of the photograph where he is in his overcoat and leaning against the pilliar?

I've tried to search this stuff on the 'net and can't find much more than the info. I know already: That he was basically kind of a slick operator and opportunist.

Was he even a very good violinist?

Thanks, you all are a wealth of answers

TC
    "He lays entombed in the sepulchre of immortality." -Anonymous

"Wine is both necessary and good for me." -LVB

Originally posted by TiberiaClaudia View Post
    A couple questions about Schindler:

You all know that, for whatever reason, Schindler kind of fascinates me. I recently read that he was living with a woman named Apollonia on this site after LvB died. Was Schindler ever married? Did he have children? What did he do after Beethoven died? Further practice law? I read he came to Vienna as a law student.
    He studied philosophy. The literature always has this wrong.

Where was he buried?
    On the old Bockenheim cemetery in Frankfurt. I recently posted a picture of this disbanded cemetery but this contribution was considered to be too boring for this forum.

Oh--and one more: What is the approximate date of the photograph where he is in his overcoat and leaning against the pilliar?
    c. 1860

I know already: That he was basically kind of a slick operator and opportunist.
    He admired Beethoven.

Was he even a very good violinist?
    Good enough to lead the orchestra of the Theater in der Josephstadt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff View Post
      On the old Bockenheim cemetery in Frankfurt. I recently posted a picture of this disbanded cemetery but this contribution was considered to be too boring for this forum.
      Come, come! I requested further enlightenment on the comment you made regarding the burial place. You indicated that he was buried there, yet that he no longer is there. (And it was only ONE member of this forum that suggested the contribution was too boring!) Was Schindler's remains exhumed and moved?

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff View Post
        Good enough to lead the orchestra of the Theater in der Josephstadt.
        Which tells us absolutely nothing about the general level of playing, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          Come, come! I requested further enlightenment on the comment you made regarding the burial place. You indicated that he was buried there, yet that he no longer is there. (And it was only ONE member of this forum that suggested the contribution was too boring!) Was Schindler's remains exhumed and moved?
          Schindler is an interesting topic. CvC's photo baffled me as we were discussing Solomon's hypothesis, and so I didn't see its relevance. The photo itself was pretty enough (but boring). That's all I intended to say.

Comment

Cvc-I know we got off to a rather rocky start. Regardless of this, I wish to thank you for answering my questions regarding Schindler. I have always wondered about the date of his photograph in particular.

I did not think the graveyard image you posted boring. Actually, I love this sort of thing. I did wonder whether or not Schindler's body had been moved from the place you showed us since I read "was buried here" and "no longer there" under your caption. Considering your response to this post, however, I assume he is still interred in the old Bockenheim cemetery in Frankfurt and that it is only his grave marker that is no longer present??? Please do explain.

I have Thayer's volumes on Beethoven ordered. What do you think of Thayer? If not Thayer, then who is the best and most reliable biographer?

As far as Schindler's skills as a musician go, did Beethoven ever leave any commentary on the subject?

My dear Philip--How are you??? Tonight the wine selection is an excellent Vintner's white from St. Augustine, Florida.

Salute!

~*~TC~*~
            Last edited by TiberiaClaudia; 01-13-2008, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Tc - the St Augustine sounds good to me! Me today with lunch : Côtes de Rhône (Caves des Papes) 2005, élevé en foudres de chêne, as it says on the label.

Comment

"Caves des Papes--" Cellars of the Popes, correct? It's been so long since I've had occasion to practice the French I learned in school...

I generally prefer whites to reds, with the exception of Uncle Vito's homemade Marsala.

Beethoven would have appreciated all this talk of wine

Today it's Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay (2005) from Sonoma, California.

XOXO,
                TC

Comment

And what was Beethoven's wine preference?

Comment

Fortified

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      And what was Beethoven's wine preference?
                      Hungarian - it was probably cheap!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                      X