Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about the Sony "Complete Masterpieces" box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about the Sony "Complete Masterpieces" box...

Hello all...

I know that there's another thread (on page two) about the various boxed sets....but I'd like to ask some specific questions about the Sony "not quite complete" edition ("Complete Masterpieces").

I ordered the box today, for $38 (from Fye.com). I know that it's 27 or so CDs short of the truly complete sets....but does the Sony box have a recording of every piece with an Opus number? Are there any key works missing in the Sony release?

Also, I'd love to hear your opinion of the various groups (symphonies, string quartets, piano trios, etc.). Again, I know that some of this has been covered, but it's always a lot of fun to read your opinions on the recordings.

Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

I don't think it includes everything with an Opus Number - not even the "complete" editions do that because some opus numbers are not even by Beethoven. The Sony would have to include all the string quartets and all the piano sonatas and trios to do that.
    Having said that, most people think it's a very good edition and well worth the low price.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftyBob61 View Post
      Hello all...

I know that there's another thread (on page two) about the various boxed sets....but I'd like to ask some specific questions about the Sony "not quite complete" edition ("Complete Masterpieces").

I ordered the box today, for $38 (from Fye.com). I know that it's 27 or so CDs short of the truly complete sets....but does the Sony box have a recording of every piece with an Opus number? Are there any key works missing in the Sony release?
      No, really there aren't any key pieces missing. You have all the major and a fair selection of the minor works too. All the concerti, symphonies, overtures, masses &c., and the piano and string trios, string quartets, piano sonatas and variations, cello sonatas, violin sonatas, Fidelio, *breathing hard now* and unless you are really after the oddities, then a satisfactory number of rarities (like WoO 5, the fragment of a violin concerto).

Also, I'd love to hear your opinion of the various groups (symphonies, string quartets, piano trios, etc.). Again, I know that some of this has been covered, but it's always a lot of fun to read your opinions on the recordings.
      The orchestral works are the recent releases of the Zurich Tonhalle Orch./Zinman, which I happen to be quite fond of, and are modern recordings with great sound. The cello sonatas are Anner Bylsma/Jos van Immerseel, on period instruments, a very fine set indeed (I paid for this whole box the same as I was going to pay for that 2 disk set!!!). The piano works are a mixture of old and new recordings, with such little gems as Charles Rosen playing the late sonatas, and Robert Casadesus playing a few of the early ones. In all, it is a good mix. Believe me, for what you paid ($10 more than me ), there is no way you can be disappointed!

----------------
      Now playing:
      Bruch Chamber - Trio Zemlinsky - Bruch Piece #6 in g for Clarinet Trio Op 83
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you for the replies!

I'm really looking forward to getting the collection!

Comment

Yes, it's by no means complete but it's a quite satisfactory accumulation of excellent recordings for a very cheap price. And they manage not to hack off the first four bars of the First Symphony....

Comment

Hi Bob, from one 'lefty' to another. I have the complete piano sonatas performed by Bernard Roberts which I love and also the complete String
            Quartets performed by the Alexander String Quartet which are very good too. I think you have yourself a very good collection and the price is right! Let us know what you think of it when you receive it.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
            X