Beethoven's Opening Movement in Op. 131

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Opening Movement in Op. 131

I think that along with the second movement of the famous Violin Concerto by Max Bruch that the opening movement of Op. 131 is the most hauntingly beautiful music that I have ever heard. Does anyone know of any other such beautiful music in Beethoven's canon that is as beautiful, or for that matter, any such beautiful music by anyone at any time anywhere? I think certain sections of Beethoven's Violin Concerto almost rival the beauty of his opening movement of the Op. 131.

These are two beautiful movements indeed. What I find especially moving is the third movement of Opus 59. No. 1 (the first Razumovsky string quartet) and the third movement of the A minor quartet.

Comment

Originally posted by lasummrs View Post
      I think that along with the second movement of the famous Violin Concerto by Max Bruch that the opening movement of Op. 131 is the most hauntingly beautiful music that I have ever heard. Does anyone know of any other such beautiful music in Beethoven's canon that is as beautiful, or for that matter, any such beautiful music by anyone at any time anywhere? I think certain sections of Beethoven's Violin Concerto almost rival the beauty of his opening movement of the Op. 131.
      Hi. Please tell us what you think of Op.131 as a complete work?

Comment

Originally posted by lasummrs View Post
        Well there are loads of examples, but of course it is all in the ear of the beholder. What about the cavatina from Op.130 or the slow movement from Op.127? As for other composers again there are many examples - how about Richard Strauss's last 4 songs, the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto or the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th?
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X