Ludwig or Ludvig: Mozart or Motzart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ludwig or Ludvig: Mozart or Motzart

I know that this seems like a silly question. I have always pronounced Beethoven's name: Lud-wig, and Mozart's: Mo-zart. When I listen to the movies and the way they pronounce their names it sounds like they are saying Lud-vig, and Mot-zart. So what I am wondering is what is the correct pronunciation of their names?

Thanks,
    Preston
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Ludwig is pronounced LOOD-vihg, and Mozart is pronounced MOE-tsart.

Comment

Thank you Chris for clarifying that. I thought that might be the case but was not sure.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Preston, it isn't a silly question in-and-of-itself, but does rather expose the linguistic weakness of many Anglo-Saxons. Here in continental Europe such dilemmas hardly raise an eyebrow, but it is a sad comment, is it not, on our incapability (read total ignorance) to pronounce such names 'correctly'.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          But surely: LOOHD-VIG, and MOAT-ZART.

Pedantic PDG

Comment

Shurely shome mishtake?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              Preston, it isn't a silly question in-and-of-itself, but does rather expose the linguistic weakness of many Anglo-Saxons. Here in continental Europe such dilemmas hardly raise an eyebrow, but it is a sad comment, is it not, on our incapability (read total ignorance) to pronounce such names 'correctly'.
              Hmm...Well, I don't think that Preston is an Anglo-Saxon. But I am! The best French I ever heard was in the Pink Panther films, with Peter Sellers.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                Shurely shome mishtake?
                Still hitting the claret a bit too hard, Phil?...

Comment

PDG, you are smelly Brit that never washes and you eat horrible food. QED. Basta, voilĂ  !

Comment

Well, some of that's true. But the rest, I deny!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                      Hmm...Well, I don't think that Preston is an Anglo-Saxon. But I am! The best French I ever heard was in the Pink Panther films, with Peter Sellers.
                      And don't tell me the best German you heard was from the Monty Python seris....

Comment

No, actually, it was in Hogan's Heroes...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          I once asked a similar question, so I add this particular again: don't German pronounce the final G as a K, so LUDVIK (lood-vik for English speakers)? Please Germans here help!

Comment

One online pronunciation guide (German Department of the University of Exeter) gave this instruction:

But "g" hardens to a "k", when it occurs at the end of a word or syllable, or before an "s" or a "t".

Comment

Hi everybody,
                              I'm not so good in English, but I'm from Germany and I want do help you in the question how to pronounce Ludwig and Mozart.
                              First of all there are a lot of dialects here in Germany but the common pronunciation of Ludwig is very simple Lud - wig like you'd - Loud and sick - wig and the w is like in week (a short ee like in sick). It is prounced very straight not with a melody in ou and w in it.
                              Mozart is very difficult -- Mo is like show or mole but only o not ou -- and zart is like smart and z like zipper -zart
                              I hope I could explain a little bit.
                              Beethoven used the French version of his name a lot of years in his early time in Vienna and everybody knew him as Louis - French pronunciation Loui

Comment

Working...
                              X