On THIS day (or quite soon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On THIS day (or quite soon)

I will shortly be attending a Christmas party, at which I hope to get immensely drunk, but at midnight I will make sure that everybody there is aware that Beethoven is 237 years old. I don’t expect much of a reaction except maybe: “I never knew dogs lived that long” but I will do my best.
    Beethoven was born close to Christmas but I imagine he must be one of the last composers that one associates with the season (although, this year, at least one orchestra and choir are ditching the “Messiah” in favour of the Ninth Symphony).
    I have been racking my brains to think of one Beethoven composition that could be linked to Christmas and suddenly it dawned on me! There are two tremendous settings of “Gloria in excelsis Deo” in both of his masses. The earlier mass has a beautiful tuneful setting while the Missa Solemnis blows the heavens asunder.
    Happy Christmas, Ludwig!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I will shortly be attending a Christmas party, at which I hope to get immensely drunk, but at midnight I will make sure that everybody there is aware that Beethoven is 237 years old. I don’t expect much of a reaction except maybe: “I never knew dogs lived that long” but I will do my best.
    We must have the same co-workers, Michael, because I get the same dumb St. Bernard jokes. Now, I love dogs, & I love Beethoven. I even love a good many movies & even some jokes. But the same dumb jokes about Beethoven the dog in the movie just bug me. Reminds me of what Andrew Sarris used to tell his film students at Columbia: "The French are funny. Sex is funny. But French sex comedies aren't funny."

Happy Christmas, Ludwig!
    Seconded!

Comment

Yes probably on this day 237 years ago Beethoven was born. However birthdays were not celebrated as today, rather the name day. In Beethoven's case Ludwig, it is 25th August.

Some info on the name Ludwig - Ludwig is a venerable and ancient male Germanic name. Beginning in its Frankish form, Chlodwig, the name Ludwig spread across the German lands. Like most names, it has a meaning. Its two Old High German root words are hlut, meaning "loud" (and by inference "famous") and wig, meaning "war" or "struggle." So an approximate translation of Ludwig would be "famous warrior."

I await corrections from Cetto!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO View Post
        We must have the same co-workers, Michael, because I get the same dumb St. Bernard jokes. Now, I love dogs, & I love Beethoven. I even love a good many movies & even some jokes. But the same dumb jokes about Beethoven the dog in the movie just bug me. Reminds me of what Andrew Sarris used to tell his film students at Columbia: "The French are funny. Sex is funny. But French sex comedies aren't funny."
        I must make an apology (well, a small one anyway) to my party friends because when I did mention the momentous fact last night, they immediately launched into a humming version of "Ode to Joy" and I didn't hear a single bark.

Comment

Last edited by PDG; 12-16-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Beethoven! I celebrate it with a listening of the 9th, Solti style!

Comment

I celebrate Beethoven's birthday by lighting a candle on my table in his memory and by reading many of the Schroeder strips from my extensive Charles Schulz collection.

I also listen to the Allegretto from the 7th over a glass of wine (the wine will be Schmitt Schonne (sp?)Reisling this year) followed by a mix of his other works.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEETHOVEN! Much love!

J.
              Last edited by TiberiaClaudia; 12-17-2007, 12:53 AM.
              "He lays entombed in the sepulchre of immortality." -Anonymous

"Wine is both necessary and good for me." -LVB

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Yes probably on this day 237 years ago Beethoven was born. However birthdays were not celebrated as today, rather the name day. In Beethoven's case Ludwig, it is 25th August.

Some info on the name Ludwig - Ludwig is a venerable and ancient male Germanic name. Beginning in its Frankish form, Chlodwig, the name Ludwig spread across the German lands. Like most names, it has a meaning. Its two Old High German root words are hlut, meaning "loud" (and by inference "famous") and wig, meaning "war" or "struggle." So an approximate translation of Ludwig would be "famous warrior."
                Ever the informer. Always learning something!
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Beethoven! I celebrate it with a listening of the 9th, Solti style!
                  I play the 9th once a year, which is every New Year's Eve, following Big Ben (quite why I follow him I don't know, and as he's a big chap, I always make sure I keep my distance)....

Comment

Working...
                  X