On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philipR View Post
    Would it be a coincidence that Mozart and Walt Disney were both Masons, and Beethoven maybe?

Hmm... Another very interesting point. I've read a couple Disney biographies, but they never seem to bring that up. I know I've heard it before, though.

In case anyone's interested, they're bringing back the Disney character shorts before feature films, starting with the release of National Treasure 2, which is based on the masons. The first short will be "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater" starring Goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonscore View Post
      In case anyone's interested, they're bringing back the Disney character shorts before feature films, starting with the release of National Treasure 2, which is based on the masons. The first short will be "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater" starring Goofy.
      That is interesting. Was it the Disney studios that produced the "Silly Symphony" shorts in the 30s and 40s? Those were cartoons that featured classical works as background music and were responsible for introducing a lot of people to this music.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        That is interesting. Was it the Disney studios that produced the "Silly Symphony" shorts in the 30s and 40s? Those were cartoons that featured classical works as background music and were responsible for introducing a lot of people to this music.
        Indeed- the short titled "Flowers and Trees" being the first color cartoon. And, although Fantasia was a successful big screen realization of this concept, Walt received alot of fallout for including and editing the length of Beethoven's Pastoral symphony. I personally don't mind because I know how expensive and time consuming it would have been to animate the whole thing (not to mention it would have taken up half the movie)

Comment

Indeed- the short titled "Flowers and Trees" being the first color cartoon. And, although Fantasia was a successful big screen realization of this concept, Walt received alot of fallout for including and editing the length of Beethoven's Pastoral symphony. I personally don't mind because I know how expensive and time consuming it would have been to animate the whole thing (not to mention it would have taken up half the movie)
          There was also some criticism of the actual animation of the symphony segment. There are people alive today who cannot hear the "Pastoral" without thinking of centaurs.
          When they remade "Fantasia" a few years back, I think Beethoven was the only composer who made it onto the second film, this time with the Fifth Symphony.

Comment

There was also some criticism of the actual animation of the symphony segment. There are people alive today who cannot hear the "Pastoral" without thinking of centaurs.
            When they remade "Fantasia" a few years back, I think Beethoven was the only composer who made it onto the second film, this time with the Fifth Symphony.
            Allow me to correct you there michael. Stravinsky's firebird suite was used as well, since his "les sacre du printemps" was used in the first movie that makes 2 composers whom made a rentree in a new piece, and Dukas in unchanged version.

Comment

Ohh man... The Firebird was my favorite of the Fantasia 2000 segments -I had nearly forgotten about it. But yeah, Michael. I feel sorry for those whose minds are locked only into that fantasy stuff when they get to number 6. But, at the same time, I am glad the studio tried something different instead of matching visual themes that were perhaps too obvious to really catch the attention of average viewers. Anyway, I really hope they do another Fantasia sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp View Post
                Allow me to correct you there michael. Stravinsky's firebird suite was used as well, since his "les sacre du printemps" was used in the first movie that makes 2 composers whom made a rentree in a new piece, and Dukas in unchanged version.
                Sorry, my mistake. Actually, I've never seen the new "Fantasia". It seems to have disappeared fairly quickly. The Disney company are noted for issuing DVDs on a limited availability basis. They also charge exorbitant prices for their old material.
                The original "Fantasia" has been withdrawn again, as far as I know. Just look at the asking-price on Play.com:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/86641...searchsource=0
                Last edited by Michael; 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I love the Firebird sequence from Fantasia 2000; it always makes me cry. Yes, I'm oversensitive.

Comment

You're supposed to cry during a Disney movie. I'm trying to think of one where I didn't cry. The latest, "Enchanted," had me weeping away even thoujgh I KNEW . . .

Comment

Originally posted by susanwen View Post
                      You're supposed to cry during a Disney movie. I'm trying to think of one where I didn't cry. The latest, "Enchanted," had me weeping away even thoujgh I KNEW . . .
                      Enchanted is my second favorite movie of the year so far (especially because of the return of composer Alan Menken) and the first is Ratatouille . I think Pirates 3 tried to accomplish too much for one movie and, thus, didn't seem to accomplish much at all as far as character and audience connection (though it still had really fun special effects).

But, yeah, I think Disney has a magic tear jerker formula that they sprinkle into nearly every movie. Why must we weep, Disney !???

Also, I wonder what Beethoven would have thought about seeing his works animated on the big screen, excluding that he would probably have been a little miffed about the interpretations. I would be excited to see that even if they did get it all wrong.

Comment

Enchanted is my second favorite movie of the year so far (especially because of the return of composer Alan Menken) and the first is Ratatouille . I think Pirates 3 tried to accomplish too much for one movie and, thus, didn't seem to accomplish much at all as far as character and audience connection (though it still had really fun special effects).

My grandson (two and a half) was taken to his first movie a few weeks back. It was "Ratatouillle". A few minutes into the movie, he was heard to mutter: "I love this place!"

Comment

My grandson (two and a half) was taken to his first movie a few weeks back. It was "Ratatouillle". A few minutes into the movie, he was heard to mutter: "I love this place!"
                          He shouldn't have been eating fish & chips in the cinema, Michael, let alone boasting about it. A bag of popcorn was always good enough for me...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                            He shouldn't have been eating fish & chips in the cinema, Michael, let alone boasting about it. A bag of popcorn was always good enough for me...
                            Oh, my Cod, PDG, that was terrible!!

Comment

The best classical music to which to listen with four friends while eating fish and chips is the Trout Quintet.

Comment

Working...
                              X