Beethoven's heavenly body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's heavenly body

There was a question on University Challenge last night which ran something like: "In astronomical terms, what do Beethoven, Mr Spock (and two others whom I forget) have in common?"
    The answer was that each of them has an asteroid named after them.
    A Google search revealed that this is indeed so, and the asteroid was discovered in 1815.
    Now, I wonder how much a good telescope would cost on eBay......

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    There was a question on University Challenge last night which ran something like: "In astronomical terms, what do Beethoven, Mr Spock (and two others whom I forget) have in common?"
    A Google search revealed that this is indeed so, and the asteroid was discovered in 1815.
    A measly asteroid? They ought to name an entire star system after B. He earned asteroid honors with the Op. 1 piano trios. But for all that followed, they should put his name to a galaxy!

Comment

Thank you for the information, Michael!
      I second that, DavidO, and enlarge it actually. Beethoven's heavenly body is universal.

Comment

Well, even us 'ordinary' people can have a star named after us! All you have to do is register and pay the price of course. What a Christmas present!
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Now, I wonder how much a good telescope would cost on eBay......
          Wow! But at least a "mere" composer had an asteroid named after him during his lifetime. Is there any record of his knowledge of this? Yes, he deserved better than a lump of rock; the biggest "rock" group of "stars" of course had a star named after them: Beatlejuice (misspelt as Betelgeuse in astronomical tomes)...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
            Wow! But at least a "mere" composer had an asteroid named after him during his lifetime. Is there any record of his knowledge of this? Yes, he deserved better than a lump of rock; the biggest "rock" group of "stars" of course had a star named after them: Beatlejuice (misspelt as Betelgeuse in astronomical tomes)...

I don't believe this! I totally missed the point that Beethoven was ALIVE when the asteroid was named (at least according to Wikipedia). I really would like to know if he had any knowledge of this. In 1820 he wrote the beautiful "Evening Song under a Starry Sky" which contains the lines:

"When the sun sinks down and the day goes to rest
            When Luna friendly glimmers and the night softly descends
            When the stars shine in their glory,
            When a thousand suns blaze in their paths
            The soul feels immense and rises up out of the dust.

Gladly it looks at those stars as though back into its fatherland
            To all that light in the distance and forgets the trumpery of Earth
            All it wants is to strive and struggle, to cast aside its shell
            Earth is too narrow and small for it, it longs to be among the stars.

From those worlds a whispered hint sends a breath towards me
            My pilgrimage on Earth will not last much longer
            Soon I shall attain my goal, soon I shall have risen to you
            Soon before God's throne I'll reap my suffering's glorious reward."

(The words are by H. Goebel. I wonder did B know about the asteroid as he set words which seem to have been written by himself. And don't forget the astronomical verse in the Ninth Symphony.)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
              And Mozart got the largest of the planets named after his last symphony.
              To continue with the astronomical theme: which musicians have the largest number of heavenly bodies named after them?
              Answer: Keith Moon and Ringo Starr ........

Comment

And Mozart got the largest of the planets named after his last symphony.
                To continue with the astronomical theme: which musicians have the largest number of heavenly bodies named after them?
                Answer: Keith Moon and Ringo Starr ........
                Michael, you should've allowed a drum roll before giving the answer.....

Comment

Working...
                X