No announcement yet.

Musings on genius old and new, & the song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emily Bronte is generally regarded as one of the greatest English novelists, and yet she produced only one: "Wuthering Heights". If we are to go by quantity instead of quality, then Telemann should be considered the greatest of all composers.

Comment

No fair, Michael, no fair to quote that example. I see via wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Bront%C3%AB) and a brief examination of other sources on the 'net, that the three Bronte sisters used to tell each other stories when younger and published a joint collection of poetry using male pseudonyms in 1846, then in 1847, Emily published Wuthering Heights before dying of tuberculosis the following year at the age of only 30. Who knows what other novels and poetical works she may have produced if she had lived even another twenty, and crucially, if the male dominated culture of the time had allowed women greater ability to write and publish

Or if they had lived in London or some other city where it was easier to make contacts in the literary world. It might have been lonely and isolated living out on the moors... But I speculate!

Either way, your example shows that is possible for someone to produce just the one masterpiece, I agree. But for me, the general rule still seems to be....

Comment

Another example.

Mary Shelley wrote "Frankenstein...or The Modern Prometheus" when she was just 18. The book is regarded as a work of genius, yet Mary wrote no more novels.

Comment

PDG, I did promise to stay out of this thread, but I cannot let your inaccuracy go unasnwered. If you take a look at http://home-1.worldonline.nl/~hamber...liography.html you will discover that not only did she write 7 novels but throughout her life also wrote numerous short stories and quite a deal of non-fiction as well, including a "Lives of the Most Eminent Literary and Scientific Men of France" and "Lives of the Most Eminent Literary and Scientific Men of Italy, Spain, and Portugal (1835-37)'.

There is also a 3 volume collection of her letters and a 2 volume collection of her journals.

Sorry ;-) But she certainly did fit the description of a genius who produced maybe just the one masterpiece.

How did I find this information? Google..

Comment

Amazing! That Frankenstein was her only novel was one of those very early school-taught facts I remembered, and also I remember reading the "fact" in the blurb of a copy of the book when I was about 8 y. o.

A mystery I shall have to investigate...

Comment

I have written over 400 symphonies and assorted works of which all are unpublished (because I forgot to send them in). I hereby claim 'genius status' according to the criteria mentioned above. When I am dead (very soon probably because I see Peter approaching rapidly with a very heavy spade raised above his head... or is it a shovel?) you will cry into your respective hankerchiefs (whilst peeling an onion) with joy. Er, ...

Comment

There's no need to bring Joy into this!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                  Who she? [Ed.]

Comment

Amazing! That Frankenstein was her only novel was one of those very early school-taught facts I remembered, and also I remember reading the "fact" in the blurb of a copy of the book when I was about 8 y. o.

A mystery I shall have to investigate...

You may have created a monster here, PDG!

Comment

It's quite funny , but I'm not really sure how this became a debate at all. AlexOv was merely pointing out the fact that popular music for each age has progressively become shorter and less inspired and stimulating compositionally, yet many still claim these works as genius. I don't remember inferring anything along the lines of mutually exclusive quality and quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        I have written over 400 symphonies and assorted works of which all are unpublished (because I forgot to send them in). I hereby claim 'genius status' according to the criteria mentioned above. When I am dead (very soon probably because I see Peter approaching rapidly with a very heavy spade raised above his head... or is it a shovel?) you will cry into your respective hankerchiefs (whilst peeling an onion) with joy. Er, ...
                        Just make sure it's a qualitative onion.

Comment

Who knows, Philip? Perhaps you are a compositional genius simply in need of an outlet. I would expect a proverbial "diamond in the rough" most from a forum of intelligent and creative individuals such as this , if from any forum at all.
                          Last edited by Moonscore; 12-01-2007, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Who she? [Ed.]
                            I'm she!
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

999! One more to go!
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Moonscore View Post
                                Who knows, Philip? Perhaps you are a compositional genius simply in need of an outlet. I would expect a proverbial "diamond in the rough" more from a forum of intelligent and creative individuals such as this if in any forum.
                                Hello Moonscore. I'm not trying to pick a fight or score points, but I don't really understand your last sentence, especially in the second clause 'such as this if in any forum'. Are you trying to flatter me?

Comment

Working...
                                X