No announcement yet.

Beethoven as antidepressant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With his hearing loss, his painful stomach illnesses, his non-existant love life, his naturally irritable temperament and his nephew, it's a wonder the man wasn't ten times more depressed than he actually was.
    And yet, for a man who is always being described as depressed, he has composed the most optimistic music ever written. The majority of his movements are in the major key and only a handful of works end on a low note (no pun intended). One that springs to mind is the 'Corilian' Overture and even there he was writing programme music.

Comment

In his correspondence, Beethoven's most common complaint is depression, but also notes anxiety, insomnia and anger. He even mentions suicide on at least two occasions in letters in 1810 & 1817, not to mention the Heiligenstadt Testament of 1802. Most of Beethoven's episodes follow some kind of tragic event in his life. The death of his mother, his hearing loss, death of his brother, conflict with servants and the troubles with his nephew Karl. Although there is evidence that depression occured through no precipitating event.....letters 1809, 1813, 1817, 1822.

Perhaps we can call him eccentric. We have many stories from friends and from people who have come in contact with him who have commented on and had difficulty with his character.

Barry Cooper has described Beethoven's compositional process and his usages of sketches. Perhaps Beethoven's love of the great outdoors and most of his compositions were written outdoors was his way of escaping..
      Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Are you prepositioning me, Joy?
        If that's sounds like a 'prop'osition, I must be losing my touch!
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

When my moods are a little bit down (this is not to be confused with depression) I listen to Beethoven. The impact is amazing. Take almost any of his works and calm, inner joy will come. This autumn I have often started my mornings with the Mass in C (especially Gloria-section). When my moods are very low, then the finale of Fidelio just lifts me up irresistibly.

Comment

While the 5th sonata is in C minor, its principal theme definitely moves upward---I can imagine it being something that both speaks to a person in a depressive state and offers hope as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gardibolt View Post
              While the 5th sonata is in C minor, its principal theme definitely moves upward---I can imagine it being something that both speaks to a person in a depressive state and offers hope as well.
              Among all the Beethoven piano sonata movements, there is surely none more joyous and uplifting than the Waldstein Rondo (Op.53). Beethoven nearly saying: "Look how I can control your emotional response with a mere tossing around of a simple idea." Could only be by him.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                Among all the Beethoven piano sonata movements, there is surely none more joyous and uplifting than the Waldstein Rondo (Op.53). Beethoven nearly saying: "Look how I can control your emotional response with a mere tossing around of a simple idea." Could only be by him.
                My favourite movement in all the sonatas!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  My favourite movement in all the sonatas!
                  I still remember when I first heard it -- my first all-the-way-through listening -- & I sat there laughing & clapping like an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                  X