Symphony number 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symphony number 5

Well, I thought that I had better post a topic that was more 'Beethoveny' than my last topics. I saw my first LIVE performance of A Beethoven Symphony today, (his third) and you know, I couldn't stop thinking about the darndest of things.

In the well know introduction of Beethovens fifth symphony (the three quavers followed by a paused minum) what instruments are playing. I have a suspission that it is only strings, but I could almost swear that I can hear a brass instrument in my new C.D and my new C.D player! And I don't have the score, I only have the Peters Edition of a Piano arrangement (an awesome arrangement by the way). I don't suppose that this counts as a discussion as such, due to the fact that as soon as one person tells, it will not be neccessary for the secound, unless there is dissagreements!

Beethoven rocks!

oboe_15
    Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Originally posted by oboe_15:

In the well know introduction of Beethovens fifth symphony (the three quavers followed by a paused minum) what instruments are playing. I have a suspission that it is only strings, but I could almost swear that I can hear a brass instrument in my new C.D and my new C.D player! And I don't have the score, I only have the Peters Edition of a Piano arrangement (an awesome arrangement by the way).
    Beethoven rocks!

oboe_15
    The opening bars of the 5th are scored for strings and clarinet so you should not be hearing brass! B was subjected to ghastly reorchestrations in the 19th century - Mahler rescored this opening to include timpani!!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Which was a stupid idea

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
        [B] The opening bars of the 5th are scored for strings and clarinet so you should not be hearing brass! B was subjected to ghastly reorchestrations in the 19th century - Mahler rescored this opening to include timpani!!

A CLARINET!!! A CLARINET!!! A CLARINET!!!
        That is shocking that I didn't hear that!
        Tht is shocking that I didn't know that! And I must one day listen to the Mahler version of it! The concert that I went to, well, it was fair but the orchestra was a bit small! BUT A CLARINET! I never heard that before! Mayebe the strings just drown them out! Also the Brass that I heard was because of the settings on my C.D player and the rather nasty IMMITATION of the C.D! It also had the worlds WORST opening to Griegs Piano concerto in -A- minor, they actually play it musically WRONG, I cannot begin to tell you how wrong it is! But I am white with shock. I am about to go to bed and re-listen to that and see if I can pick out the clarinet. Could anyone tell me how many clarinets (in his score) and what there dynamic markings are please! I bet you it is pp to make it harder to listen to!

All composers rock!

oboe_15

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:
          [B But I am white with shock. I am about to go to bed and re-listen to that and see if I can pick out the clarinet. Could anyone tell me how many clarinets (in his score) and what there dynamic markings are please! I bet you it is pp to make it harder to listen to!

All composers rock!

oboe_15

[/B]
          There are 2 clarinets and the marking is fortissimo - same as the strings. Other Mahler horrors include muting the horns at the beginning of the Scherzo, in the finale frequent doubling of bassoons with horns, and adding an extra piccolo and Eb Clarinet.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
            [B] There are 2 clarinets and the marking is fortissimo - same as the strings. Other Mahler horrors include muting the horns at the beginning of the Scherzo, in the finale frequent doubling of bassoons with horns, and adding an extra piccolo and Eb Clarinet.
            EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! How wierd that arrangement would be! I hav'ent found a copy of it yet, but I am looking.

Beethoven Rocks!

oboe_15

Comment

Working...
            X