New sonata edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New sonata edition

At long last Beethoven's 3 early sonatas appear to have been recognised and admitted into the 'holy sanctuary' of Beethoven piano sonatas which are presented in a new edition as 'the 35' by the Associated board of the Royal Schools of music. This edition will be launched at London's Wigmore Hall at 11.00 am on Friday 7 December and will be introduced by John Suchet, newscaster and Beethoven devotee, and will feature Barry Cooper talking about his approach to the new edition, with performances by Martin Roscoe and Andrew Aarons on modern and early pianos.
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    At long last Beethoven's 3 early sonatas appear to have been recognised and admitted into the 'holy sanctuary' of Beethoven piano sonatas which are presented in a new edition as 'the 35' by the Associated board of the Royal Schools of music. This edition will be launched at London's Wigmore Hall at 11.00 am on Friday 7 December and will be introduced by John Suchet, newscaster and Beethoven devotee, and will feature Barry Cooper talking about his approach to the new edition, with performances by Martin Roscoe and Andrew Aarons on modern and early pianos.
    Good news. And I see (now) what a good forum can provide. The early sonatas you refer to are the WoO works of LvB's Bonn years I presume. That the ABRSM allow these works into the 'holy sanctaury' is of course what 'conservatoires' are all about, n'est-ce pas? Less edifying (for me, as personal opinion for what it is worth) is that the edition is to be 'launched' by John Suchet. Dr Cooper, on the other hand, is someone I have a lot of time for.

Comment

Hm. I assume they are talking about the three piano sonatas WoO 47. What about WoO 51? There is also WoO 50, and AnH 5, but I believe these were called "sonatinas" by Beethoven, yes? Were some of those shown to be not actually by Beethoven? I thought I remembered that.

Comment

I agree with Philip's reservations about Suchet; I suspect he feels a new book coming on.....But also, I disagree with Philip about Cooper; a man who decided it would be a good idea to write a Beethoven symphonic movement, no less! No more need be said on that, but regarding "the 35", how will that work? Numbers 1 - 3 now become 4 - 6?

Nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
          I agree with Philip's reservations about Suchet; I suspect he feels a new book coming on.....But also, I disagree with Philip about Cooper; a man who decided it would be a good idea to write a Beethoven symphonic movement, no less! No more need be said on that, but regarding "the 35", how will that work? Numbers 1 - 3 now become 4 - 6?

Nonsense.
          Thank you PDG for agreeing with me about Suchet! You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, no?
          I can't scratch yours though about Dr Cooper, sorry! Look, let's be clear - Cooper's reconstruction of the "Tenth" is no more than that, a reconstruction. Even the term 'reconstruction' is misleading, I grant you. It's not Beethoven, and it never will be. That said, I am grateful to Cooper for giving me an intelligent informed 'guess' at what could have been. I know it sounds terribly 'watered down', but what would you rather have PDG - indeciphrable scribbles on a manuscript, or a 'vague idea' of what LvB had in head at that moment?

Comment

I think you're being a bit elitist about Suchet - whilst I'm no fan of his books, I do admire his genuine enthusiasm for Beethoven.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              I think you're being a bit elitist about Suchet - whilst I'm no fan of his books, I do admire his genuine enthusiasm for Beethoven.
              Yes, indeed. I suspect, however, that things will continue as usual regarding the main body of sonatas, and the Electorals will always be marginalised. In fact, only a dozen - perhaps less - of the "proper" sonatas are widely known. This is not because of their quality but because some of them have acquired nicknames.

Comment

I agree Peter, I have respect and enthusiasm for Suchet. He clearly knows his stuff. I feel many 'scholars' have been rather discriminatory and snobby about him.

In fact, he has a new book out, due next summer. The Treasures of Beethoven (Treasures & Experiences). This authoritative and innovative book tells the story of Beethoven's life and works, highlighting some of the most important events by the inclusion of facsimile memorabilia, much of it only available for viewing in museums around Europe. Although not as prolific a composer as Mozart or Haydn, Beethoven's work revealed a passion which rightly led to him being hailed as one of the first romantic composers. "The Treasures of Beethoven" looks at the stories behind the music and celebrates the man who, at one point, became the most famous man in Vienna, with works performed in every concert hall across Europe, and whose compositions have inspired countless generations of musicians since.

Great news about the inclusion of the early sonatas. Long overdue.
                Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
                  I agree Peter, I have respect and enthusiasm for Suchet. He clearly knows his stuff. I feel many 'scholars' have been rather discriminatory and snobby about him.

In fact, he has a new book out, due next summer.
                  Ah Ha! I knew it...

Comment

You synic!!!
                    Fidelio

Comment

Does this cynic have a critic?

Comment

LOL.....surely not
                        Fidelio

Comment

Did you know John Suchet's brother is Hercule Poirot?!

Comment

Come on....what you trying to say......? Perhaps he could help in finding the Immortal Beloved?
                            Fidelio

Comment

No, it's true...honest...

Comment

Working...
                              X