Baltimore Symphony Orch: Marin Alsop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baltimore Symphony Orch: Marin Alsop

I went to a fine concert last night. Barber's Piano Concerto, with Garrick Ohlsson playing splendidly, and Tchaikovsky's Symphony 5. I had been unable to attend Alsop's premiere with the Baltimore, playing Mahler's 5th, and substituted this one in my series, and it proved to be a good choice. The Barber was lush, lyrical, with a heart-pounding conclusion. Ohlsson received a standing ovation, and returned for an encore (during what was supposed to be the intermission - too bad for the people who raced out instead of staying politely to applaud). When he sat to play the encore, someone in the front called out a piece he wanted to hear, I couldn't hear what he said, but Ohlsson said "Too long," and he played a Chopin waltz, full of trills and dexterity. I was really pleased with the Tchaikovsky. In prior years, I thought the Baltimore was below the standard of the National Symphony Orchestra. (I live between the two, and have alternately subscribed to each). Last night, though, I thought Alsop brought out the best in the players, and they gave a terrific performance, especially the woodwinds, and the brass delivered a real punch. I'm looking forward to the rest of my subscription, which includes Beethoven's Fifth and Ninth!
Working...
X