Toscanini conducts Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toscanini conducts Beethoven

Here's a video of Toscanini conducting Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K_I...elated&search=

Thank you, very nice!

Comment

Thank you too, for the link (but always hard to hear correctly on my tinny PC speakers). Have you ever heard a Toscanini performance of LvB's Seventh Symphony? I thought I knew 'fast'. Then I heard Toscanini.
      Last edited by Quijote; 10-21-2007, 05:35 PM. Reason: missing right bracket

Comment

Toscanini Downs a Fifth

Fantastic! The sound on this was so much better than the all too rushed cd releases a while back... and so were the visuals...

Thank you! This made my day tonight!

did you bother to compare the Bohm and Karajan versions (also shown on the Utube side margins? after AT why bother?)

A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

My first exposure to Beethoven nearly 40 years ago, other than random snatches of the 5th and 9th, was Toscanini's recording of the Eroica with the NBC symphony. I still remember the shock of the opening as if it were yesterday. WHAM! [silence] WHAM! [silence} Doo-di-doo, di-doo-di-doo-doo. It totally knocked my socks off, and then it knocked my shoes off, and then it messed up my hair. And the rest is history.

Comment

Great post! I feel like I'm in the room with you. Did you ever sort out your hair?...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
              Great post! I feel like I'm in the room with you. Did you ever sort out your hair?...
              Are you asking Beethoven?!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                Parting is better terminology here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  Parting is better terminology here.
                  But parting is such sweet sorrow ........

Comment

Working...
                  X