Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vladimir Ashkenazy in Sydney, Australia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!! what a week it has been so far....I have to pinch myself, going to "work" every day to watch/ listen and assist with the rehearsals and performances conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy. I have even seen/heard him play briefly in rehearsals of Rachmaninov piano concerti. He is a Maestro in every sense of the word. What an incredibly genuine, top bloke he is. Always smiling, totally professional and has a great rapport with the Orchestra. Can't speak highly enough of him. Last nights performance ended with two rousing cheers from the enthusiastic 2700 strong audience and what felt like 10 minutes of applause after he brilliantly conducted Rachmaninov's Symphony #2 completely from memory.

Back to all things LvBeethoven, just got the new CD of Ashkenazy's recording of the 33 Variations in C on a Waltz by Anton Diabelli. Op.120. It also has the 12 Variations in A on the Russian Dance from Paul Wranitzky's Ballet 'Das Waldmadchen' WoO 71. The CD was recorded in July last year, and has all the trademark clarity, musicality and technical brilliance of his other recordings. Well worth a listen.
    “Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable,
    develop as fully as we can the gifts God has given us, and never stop learning”
    LvBeethoven

Comment

Must be hell.....congratulations.
      How is he devoting his concert performances between conducting and performing?

The only Beethoven recordings I rate him are the violin sonatas with Perlman.
      Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
        Must be hell.....congratulations.
        How is he devoting his concert performances between conducting and performing?

The only Beethoven recordings I rate him are the violin sonatas with Perlman.
        He is only conducting. The brief times I've seen/ heard him play are when preparing to rehearse the orchestra with the pianist, when everyone is warming up/ taking their positions on the stage, and he is finalising ideas on the performance with the soloist.

Haven't heard the Perlman recordings, but fair enough, each to their own. Have you heard his recordings of the piano sonatas? I'd seriously recommend the Diabelli variations.
        “Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable,
        develop as fully as we can the gifts God has given us, and never stop learning”
        LvBeethoven

Comment

Thanks, must be a joy to see/hear him.

I have heard his Piano Sonatas but I'm afraid I advocate Brendel/Kovacevich for Beethoven's Piano works. As you say, each to their own.
          Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Working...
          X