Life of Beethoven by Ignaz Moscheles 1841

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidO View Post
    Philip, I'm reading that right now -- I mean literally right now. (I set it down to reply to you.) I have the Canto edition you mention, the translation by Maynard Solomon. What I'm wondering is whether Solomon's translation is reliable. A few of you on this forum have criticized Solomon's English translations of Beethoven letters, &c., so I'd like to know what you guys think of his work translating the von Breuning book.
    Hello DavidO - I'm afraid I can't comment on Solomon's reliability as I have a very low level of German. I have heard such comments about his translations, however. That said, I have not read anything particularly negative about this edition, so keep reading and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO View Post
      Philip, I'm reading that right now -- I mean literally right now. (I set it down to reply to you.) I have the Canto edition you mention, the translation by Maynard Solomon. What I'm wondering is whether Solomon's translation is reliable. A few of you on this forum have criticized Solomon's English translations of Beethoven letters, &c., so I'd like to know what you guys think of his work translating the von Breuning book.
      Like Philip my German is not good enough to comment, except to say that I also have the book and enjoyed it immensely. I think with Breuning's memoirs the danger is more the lapse of time and the obvious influence of Schindler which is perhaps of more concern than Solomon's translation.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Like Philip my German is not good enough to comment, except to say that I also have the book and enjoyed it immensely. I think with Breuning's memoirs the danger is more the lapse of time and the obvious influence of Schindler which is perhaps of more concern than Solomon's translation.
        Relectant as I am (you may have noticed how I don't like agreeing with anyone), I agree with Peter - the Schindler influence is far more pernicious than Solomon's abilities as a translator. By the way, I have copyrighted the following expression :

"Schindler the Swindler".

Comment

Working...
        X