harvesting with Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

harvesting with Beethoven

Sputh Korean scientists have studied the growth of corn and rice by issuing classical music (especially between 125 and 250 Hz) through the fields. They are sure it helps the growth. Especially the ninth, but also other musicians. Well. The acoustic pollution was still missing in these oasis of peace (until now). It will be pleasant to ride a bike in the countryside in some years.

Well, Terry, the corn is as high as an elephant's eye (name that song?....). But you're right. Time to play the underrated Pastoral sonata, Op.28. Music by which to mow the lawn and smell the new-mown hay. Or something...

Comment

OOPS... I wrote a double post! You had already written about this. Sorry this happens always because I download before reading...

Comment

Piano Sonata 15

Originally posted by PDG View Post
        ...Time to play the underrated Pastoral sonata, Op.28. Music by which to mow the lawn and smell the new-mown hay. Or something...
        so right... it is soooo underrated... and so sublime... too bad the preceding moonlight has so much of the spotlight.

what a stunning discovery for anyone when first moving from the the 14th to the 15th.

the op. 28 is unbelievably sublime and glorious.

Must it be? It must be!

Comment

According to Carl Czerny, Beethoven often played the andante of this sonata when asked to play something.
          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
            Well, Terry, the corn is as high as an elephant's eye (name that song?....). But you're right. Time to play the underrated Pastoral sonata, Op.28. Music by which to mow the lawn and smell the new-mown hay. Or something...
            Personally, I never use the music of Beethoven as background listening ("wallpaper music"), be that mowing the lawn or other mundane tasks. Beethoven's music demands serious listening, and Beethoven himself would have thrown his Graaf piano at you if he knew how you "consume" his work.

I am dismayed, PDG, that you can post elsewhere about so-called "higher truths" in Beethoven's music and then flippantly say you can mow your lawn whilst listening to Op. 28 (or indeed any other work).

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              Personally, I never use the music of Beethoven as background listening ("wallpaper music"), be that mowing the lawn or other mundane tasks. Beethoven's music demands serious listening, and Beethoven himself would have thrown his Graaf piano at you if he knew how you "consume" his work.

I am dismayed, PDG, that you can post elsewhere about so-called "higher truths" in Beethoven's music and then flippantly say you can mow your lawn whilst listening to Op. 28 (or indeed any other work).
              Well, I wasn't being completely serious! The topic didn't warrant an in-depth response. I disagree that Beethoven would have necessarily thrown his piano about, as some of his own compositions caused him annoyance at their supposed triviality: the C minor variations, WoO 80 spring to mind, and he was equally embarrassed at the huge success of the Septet, Op.20. There were also times where the financial rewards from a work probably outweighed his artistic satisfaction; eg. the 7th Symphony.

I never used the words: "higher truths". Now, I'm off with my Walkman to mow the lawn...

Comment

Working...
              X