Winners of piano competitions amaze me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winners of piano competitions amaze me

Performing a difficult piece in public can be tough enough, but doing it on an international level? And being judged at the same time? And knowing that one screw up and you've pretty much lost? Anyone who can get through this without having a nervous breakdown is amazing to me.

Yes but don't forget that they go through many rounds before being whittled down to the last 6 or so - all of these finalists generally will have careers ahead of them regardless of who wins.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Did you ever participate in one, Peter?

Comment

No not at an international level - it would have scared the life out of me as you say! I remember particularly from my student days the 1981 Leeds piano competition and the remarkable Bernard D'ascoli who didn't win, but got 3rd prize (he had previously won the Barcelona International Piano Competition aged 19) - aside from his tremendous artistry is the amazing fact that he has been blind since birth - an inspiration to us all!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

They amaze me to Chris. Any type of virtuoso leaves me astounded and wondering how they do it. It is like a gift from God. I mean these people don't miss notes, can read music perfectly while playing, perform all the actions that a virtuoso needs (this part really blows me away because there are so many different qualities that a virtuoso must have, it confuses me), etc. It is truly remarkable. I really don't understand how it is possible, .

I mean even children of around 10 years of age can do it. That must mean that it is somewhat easy... when you have the talent. Although, while the children of 10 may need some major critiquing, there are still a true talent!

Peter, are you sure about Bernard D'ascoli being blind since birth, or was he partially blind? I have never really thought about a virtuoso that being born blind. I thought that would be next to impossible because you wouldn't be able to speak, read, etc., because you cannot see things, and a mind must be able to see to understand what they are and what word goes with it
          Last edited by Preston; 09-23-2007, 01:10 AM.
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            Peter, are you sure about Bernard D'ascoli being blind since birth, or was he partially blind? I have never really thought about a virtuoso that being born blind. I thought that would be next to impossible because you wouldn't be able to speak, read, etc., because you cannot see things, and a mind must be able to see to understand what they are and what word goes with it
            Yes Preston - http://geoffandwen.com/blind/newsarticle.asp?u_id=2622

Nor would being blind from birth mean you couldn't speak, merely that you couldn't see. Also of course blind people do read with Braille - music is also available with this system.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X