Conductors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I do want to ask about your favorite conductors, though."
    My favourite conductor for the Beethoven symphonies has always been Arturo Toscanini.

Personally can't think of any one coming NEAR Toscanini.

Many many years back, when I was a student,
    heard a live performance of Karajan conducting the EROICA and the ninth. The experience was mind blowing -especially
    the last movement of the ninth.

Also heard (live) Piere BOULEZ conduct several Beethoven symohonies. Personally I liked Boulez.

The conductor I've always disliked for Beethoven is Otto Klemperer- he is just too staid for Beethoven.

Has any one on this forum ever heard Wilhelm Furtwangler, or Felix Weingartner conduct Beethoven? I'd like to hear how Furtwangler
    conducting a Beethoven symphony differs from (say) Toscanini??

Do remember listening to Zubin Mehta on TV saying that in his opinion the two greatest conductors were Toscanini and Furtwangler.

Never heard a Furtwangler recording.
    Can any one explain what Furtwangler was like?

Comment

Obviously the whole discussion is somewhat subjective, as is any review that starts out "Whom do you prefer?"

Re Furtwangler and Toscanini, much of the difference is tempo. As an example, (mentioned by an earlier poster) the Furtwangler 1951 recording of the 9th is acclaimed by many to be "as good as it gets". Listen to that recording and notice the different tempo present in the 3rd movement of the Furtwangler reading (slower, more elegant?) as contrated with tempos usually followed by Arturo for that movementn. T was known to roar through the 3rd movement, and while I (like most listeners) can hardly wait for the last movement, the third contains some lovely melodies and transitions and should not be hurried.

I would rank Furtwangler alongside any of the greats, perhaps even putting him at the top (althought I still favor Walter and Weingartner).

Regards

Originally posted by aqua:

"I do want to ask about your favorite conductors, though."
      My favourite conductor for the Beethoven symphonies has always been Arturo Toscanini.

Personally can't think of any one coming NEAR Toscanini.

Many many years back, when I was a student,
      heard a live performance of Karajan conducting the EROICA and the ninth. The experience was mind blowing -especially
      the last movement of the ninth.

Also heard (live) Piere BOULEZ conduct several Beethoven symohonies. Personally I liked Boulez.

The conductor I've always disliked for Beethoven is Otto Klemperer- he is just too staid for Beethoven.

Has any one on this forum ever heard Wilhelm Furtwangler, or Felix Weingartner conduct Beethoven? I'd like to hear how Furtwangler

Do remember listening to Zubin Mehta on TV saying that in his opinion the two greatest conductors were Toscanini and Furtwangler.

Ad majorem dei gloriam

Comment

You're spot-on here, the first version of Fidelio I bought was with this chap, the critic's premier recommendation - well, never had I been more disappointed with a purchase! Staid is a good word for it!

In the past I have used the word 'monstrosity' in conjunction with Furtwangler!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Klemperer became more staid the older he got and was notorious for his slow tempi, which some people go into raptures over. Furtwangler was of the old Romantic school of conductors and consequently took tremendous liberties with rhythm and tempi - he was however respected for his overall unity and clarity, again some people love this approach.
          It really is a matter of personal taste, but when it comes to historical accuracy, there can be no doubt that recent period instrument recordings give a far better account of Beethoven's intentions. Beethoven simply cannot be played in the same way as Wagner or Mahler, and this what you tend to get with the Furtwangler generation of conductors.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 07-13-2001).]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, today after hearing my first LIVE performance of a Beethoven symphony I know have an a wider opinion on conducters.

Despite the fact that James Sedares looks like an absolute FOOL when he conducts an orchestra, He conducted VERY well! I would almost reccomend that if the NZSO (New Zealand Symphony Orchestra) went on another tour to Europe, that you close your eyes while you listen, as it is most 'off putting' to watch his technique! He conducted Rossinis "Silken Ladder" very well, and I hve to take my hat off to the oboe player (and the clarinet) for playing it ALL WITHOUT A SINGLE MISTAKE! Something that all woodwind players would know is something near impossible (especially when she told me later on that she had only learnt the piece a few days before hand). It really is, Either Rossini absoutely HATED oboe players or he found a really good oboe player to play all of his parts which feature highly in all of his overtures with lovely solos!

He also conducted Mozarts Flute and Harp concerto, and that entire Orchestra must have thought that the crowd was mentally impared for clapping in betwen movements! I was horrified to hear it myself! And the rooms accoustics didn't help, they were a bit muffled but not bad.

And lastly the 'Eroica'. And that was when my music teacher and I screwed up our faces at the end of the first movement! At the end of the very powerful movemet, it suddenly dies from fff to nothing, and a secound violinist didn't bow correctly and at the end, there was this little squeak from her violin (how embarassing), it was hard to hear due to the crowd clapping between movements! But I know that being in an orchestra, that these things happen.

But over all, it was an AWESOME concert with some of New Zealands finest performers. And I highly reccomend that all of you go on a good search engine and find out about how to find a C.D called "Beauty Spot" It is the finest C.D that the New Zealand symphony has EVER put out! I will find some more information if any of you are really interested, and have NZ$35-40 (10-12 pounds) spare.

Beethoven Rocks

oboe_15

[This message has been edited by oboe_15 (edited 07-15-2001).]
            Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Working...
            X