Pavarotti - RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pavarotti - RIP

Such sad news. I never got to hear him sing live but I have some wonderful recordings and have seen a number of televised performances - Aida, Tosca, La Boheme and of course the 3 tenors concert among them. Whilst I have always preferred Domingo as a person and as an artiste, there is no question that Pavarotti was an incomparable force of nature with an extraordinarily beautiful voice who probably did more than anyone in our generation to communicate the joy of music to the whole range of the population. Unlike too many of our current crop of opera "stars" who too often sound indistinguishable from each other, there was never any doubt who you were listening to when a Pavarotti recording was played - that silvery cutting edge in the top register and his absolute precision in notes and diction was unmistakeable and unmatched. And yes I still thrill and cry when I hear his Nessun Dorma, but also when I hear him singing something more delicate such as E Lucevan l' Estelle.

May he rest in peace and light eternal shine upon him.
    Last edited by JA Gardiner; 09-06-2007, 08:14 AM.
    Beethoven the Man!

The best tenor in recent time, imo.

Saw him live a few years ago here in Raleigh. He had crutches but would rise from his stool and sing great as ever. He took turns with a female soprano who ended up leaving because she felt ill. Her understudy brought the house down along with Pavarotti, of course. He gave her considerable accolades. Quite moving
    Last edited by jak; 09-06-2007, 01:25 PM.
    www.johnakarr.com

Comment

What a joyous, exuberant man! Here's a clip of him singing the theme song from Titanic with the man who voices Miss Piggy of the Muppets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=520K7C5eiwc

Comment

One of his "Desert Island" choices was the last movement of the Pastoral symphony. (I know ..... I've a one-track mind).

Comment

Requiescat in pace!
          And may God, who is good, resurrect you on the last day!

I experienced this sound-phenomenon alive at his first Helsinki concert. For me it was quite a trouble to travel with a chair (!) one hundred kilometers in a bus (I actually missed the bus I should have taken) and then come to the concert with such electrifying atmosphere. I will never forget it.

P.S. You may wonder about the chair. I didn't manage to get a seat, so I took my own chair with me. Of course it was not allowed, but since I have a handicap with my foot, I thought it only appropriate.

The Finnish Classic Radio just played Requiem of Verdi (you know the version with Pavarotti, Talvela, Horne, Sutherland and Solti...). There is something about the time ...changing.
          Lux aeterna luceat eis!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            One of his "Desert Island" choices was the last movement of the Pastoral symphony. (I know ..... I've a one-track mind).
            Well, Michael, it was probably too much Pasta (rol) that did him in. None shall sleep? - He can now, God bless.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
              Well, Michael, it was probably too much Pasta (rol) that did him in. None shall sleep? - He can now, God bless.
              Awful! Reminds me of another bad joke:

1st Woman : You're all dressed up. Where are you going?
              2nd Woman : We're going to Pavarotti.
              1st Woman: Oooh, nice. Are you going for a week or a fortnight?

Comment

Sad news indeed. Pavarotti helped bring Opera to a much larger audience, like some of the great tenors of yesteryear in Hollywood movies.

Watched a very interesting documentary about his life on TV the other night.

The following may raise a few eyebrows... but not mine :-)

"The young Elvis Presley, without any doubt."
                Top New Zealand opera star and soprano Kiri Te Kanawa's answer to UK show-host Michael Parkinson ( who probably expected her to name Luciano Pavarotti, or Maria Callas), when asked whose was the greatest voice she had ever heard".
                http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

I just watched a rerun of the program 60 minutes and an interview with Pavarotti last night. Very interesting indeed. Lots of segments of him singing. What a voice! Also on PBS they ran one of his earlier operas for a tribute.
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                  X