Andreas Staier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andreas Staier

I wonder if Andreas Staier has any intentions of performing B's sonatas on period piano. If he does, then judging from his magnificent late Schubert sonatas on original piano and his Bach harpsichord works, we really could have a definitive collection. We would also have the benefit of having them recorded on the Teldec "das alte Werk" label with it's superb sound quality. Admittedly, the cost would be exorbitant as they always charge top price, but in this instance it would be worth it.

Originally posted by michael790:
    I wonder if Andreas Staier has any intentions of performing B's sonatas on period piano. If he does, then judging from his magnificent late Schubert sonatas on original piano and his Bach harpsichord works, we really could have a definitive collection. We would also have the benefit of having them recorded on the Teldec "das alte Werk" label with it's superb sound quality. Admittedly, the cost would be exorbitant as they always charge top price, but in this instance it would be worth it.
    A good question, one I've thought often myself. He is highly regarded as a fp player yet, other than 3 songs (along with some other composers efforts), he has recorded not a single note of Beethoven - the champion of the fortepiano!! I can only assume that, considering he has recorded much Mozart and Schubert, that Beethoven is not to his taste, or is too much of a challenge. I rate him not until he records at least 1 cd devoted to Beethoven!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

It is strange since he has recorded a lot of lesser composers - Dussek's piano concerto no.1 and Field's 2nd and 3rd concertos. However there is hope as I found this quote - "A varied repertoire enriches the spirit, he feels. He began working on Beethoven's Diabelli Variations at the same time as the Goldbergs, reconnecting with a childhood love of Beethoven's repertoire that seemed to have faded, but is now stronger than ever."

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X