'Primo Amore'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Primo Amore'

The mp3 of this aria is now available on the Rare Beethoven page of this site
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/selected.html

It really is a most impressive piece lasting around 14mins so be patient with the download time!

That such a gem lies in relative obscurity is indeed puzzling!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 07-09-2001).]
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:

That such a gem lies in relative obscurity is indeed puzzling!
    How many times have with said this with regard to Beethoven?! It's certainly a worthy piece for our resident singer! And apparently before B's lessons with Salieri. Perhaps he didn't really need them?!

However I forgot to give you the credits for the recording. The sopano is Hanne-Lore Kuhse with the Staatskapelle Dresden conducted by Arthur Apelt. The disk is part of a boxed set "Beethoven Unknown Works Vol. 1" on Berlin Classics label, 0091312BC

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I've got a few scraps of info from Thayer's life. It states Primo was discovered in the Artaria collection, marked 'dal LvB'. Kinsky sources two further copies in Vienna and Graz. It was catalogued by Kinsky-Halm as a work of 1800, but all modern sources date it as circa 1790-92. I thus presume there has been some research made on this matter, but of which I can say nothing. It was first published in Series 25 of the 'Collected Works Edition'.

------------------

Comment

Thanks!

Your point about Salieri's lessons is interesting - on the strength of the 2 Bonn cantatas, Primo Amore, Adelaide and Ah!Perfido one does wonder why he felt the need for Salieri's advice!

There are two other concert arias from this period - 'Prufung des Kussens' WoO89 and 'Mit Madeln sich vertragen' WoO90.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks!

Your point about Salieri's lessons is interesting - on the strength of the 2 Bonn cantatas, Primo Amore, Adelaide and Ah!Perfido one does wonder why he felt the need for Salieri's advice!

There are two other concert arias from this period - 'Prufung des Kussens' WoO89 and 'Mit Madeln sich vertragen' WoO90.

I've got these on disk as well, nice, very singable pieces too. They have the same light texture apparent in Primo.. and add to the idea that the latter work is from the Bonn period.

------------------

Comment

Thanks!

Smart people know that there is always room for improvement. Then again, Beethoven was never really 'humble'.

------------------
            I am not a number, I am a free man!
            Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
              Smart people know that there is always room for improvement. Then again, Beethoven was never really 'humble'.
              Well, I read of many instances where B displayed surprising humility, for whatever reason. Whether humble or not I would commend him for his surprising LACK of arrogance under many circumstances! Honesty and sincerity were fundamental elements in Beethoven's character, and he was typically quick to admit publicly any error of judgement on his part.

------------------

Comment

It is not because B. told "I know that I am an artist" that is was not humble. All the contrary.
                I love "Primo Amore", well-written, for a voice technically perfect. The recording you mention is pretty good ( I am not a "normal" singer : I love to hear another soprano singing very well !!!).

------------------
                Claudie
                Claudie

Comment

Working...
                X