Electric violin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric violin

What do folks think of the sound of the electric violin ?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO6kYLb6As
    🎹

My old girlfriend used to have one of those. It was the kind with five strings, like a combination violin/viola. It was cool to play with, but didn't have much value as an instrument to me, even for popular music.

Comment

John Adams wrote an electric violin concerto for Tracey Silverman who came and performed it with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra last season and I truly loved it, part of that was truly Adams' compositional awesomeness but I really think the electric violin 'works'. I think the work is called the Dharma at Big Sur...or something to that effect and I reccomend people check it out.

Comment

I have recently started taking violin lessons and enyoying it very much , but wonder if anyone can give me hints on how I might 'mute' the sound a bit when I am practicing at home, just so that the neighbours can't hear .

Thanks
        🎹

Comment

Unplug it?

Comment

No PGD sorry PDG

It's not an electric violin
            Last edited by Megan; 09-25-2007, 08:04 PM.
            🎹

Comment

Who's PGD?

That's right, Megan, in order to unplug the electric violin, you will first need to buy one and plug it in.

Comment

Sorry PDG,, I thought I edited my typo..
                🎹

Comment

No problem.

Yours,

GPD.

Comment

In the late 1970's, when I was a big jazz fan, I saw a fellow named Jean-Luc Ponty play several times. He played an electric violin in what I would suppose is called jazz fusion, but there were some elements of classical in there too. In any case, although I can't analyze his music, I can tell you that the sound of this instrument was quite unique, and really a pleasure to hear (and see) him play it.

----------------
                    Now playing: Spohr Piano Trios - Hartley Piano Trio - Spohr Trio #5 in g for Piano & Strings Op 142 4th mvmt - Finale: Allegro molto
                    Last edited by Gurn Blanston; 09-25-2007, 10:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I actually discovered that I can use a practice mute for the violin , it is fitted over the bridge of the violin as illustrated here. This is brilliant to use for practicing at home as it softens the sound.

🎹

Comment

Electric violin

An electric violin? This seemingly inocuous question is more interesting than it first appears. When you put on your CD of your 'favourite' Kreutzer sonata you are decidely NOT listening to a classical 'acoustic' instrument, you are listening to digital signals transmitted via loudspeakers. In a sense an 'electric' performance.

A more interesting point could be this one (quoted from Joseph KERMAN, Contemplating Music, Challenges to Musicology, Harvard University Press, 1985) :

"No one who has heard Beethoven's 'Moonlight' Sonata [...] well played on the fortepiano will ever be entirely happy with [it] again on the modern piano."

For a more intelligent survey of the issues surrounding HIP (historically informed performance), I suggest two works :

BUTT, John, Playing with History (Cambridge University Press, 2002)

and

TARUSKIN, Richard, Text and Act (New York and Oxford, 1995).

Enjoy.
                        Last edited by Quijote; 10-07-2007, 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

Interesting view, but I regard fortepiano Beethoven as being no more than historical interest. The modern piano with its range, warmth of sound, depth and dynamics, surely does far more justice surely to B's Sonatas than the reedy thin sound of the fortepiano.
                          Such is my humble opinion, each to his own obviously.

I have to say though, that I do resent a bit the way the authentic movement has captured the commanding hieghts of many great composers, so that for instance, one can't get the magnificent colour and depth of a Hamilton Harty performance of Handel, and everywhere one goes one has to settle for the Eliot Gardner, Hogwood take on things, which I personally now find oppressive , like a form of political correctness in overdrive.

🎹

Comment

Beethoven's piano composing, as well as his piano playing style and technique, changed during his life time to match the developements and improvements of the evolving fortepiano. You need six different fortepianos in order to perform the 32 sonata cycle properly. Moreover, using historical fortepianos allows us to hear the works as Beethoven envisioned them.
                            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                              Interesting view, but I regard fortepiano Beethoven as being no more than historical interest. The modern piano with its range, warmth of sound, depth and dynamics, surely does far more justice surely to B's Sonatas than the reedy thin sound of the fortepiano.
                              Such is my humble opinion, each to his own obviously.

I have to say though, that I do resent a bit the way the authentic movement has captured the commanding hieghts of many great composers, so that for instance, one can't get the magnificent colour and depth of a Hamilton Harty performance of Handel, and everywhere one goes one has to settle for the Eliot Gardner, Hogwood take on things, which I personally now find oppressive , like a form of political correctness in overdrive.

Megan states that fortepiano Beethoven is no more than historical interest. Breathtakingly shortsighted of you, Megan. Your posting displays almost total ignorance of the issues surrounding HIP (historically informed performance).
                              Let me continue with the Kerman quote :

"In a natural way, true to is own capabilities, the old instrument provides this music with clarities and sensibilities [and sonorities - my addition, Megan] which the new instrument can, at best, simulate only in a way that holds it back from realizing its [modern] capabilities. Certain notorious problematic Beethoven markings in the score make immediate sense in the sonorous world of the actual instrument he played when he wrote [the Moonlight]. On a modern instrument they simply cannot be realized, or can be realized only most awkwardly (that is why they are notorious)".

So much for your out-of-hand dismissal of the important aspects. Next : you say the fortepiano has a thin reedy sound. 'Reedy' is a strange adjective to use for a piano (or fortepiano) Megan. Reedy would be for my ears an adjective reserved for a wind instrument. PDG knows all about "wind", ask him (as in his other revealing postings). Such is your humble opinion. And erroneous.

You find the 'authentic movement' oppressive? For once you post an interesting comment (although I don't agree), and one worth investigating. If you are prepared to make an effort and read the book I recommended (John BUTT, 'Playing with History', Cambridge University Press 2002) then we may enter into a meaningful exchange.
                              The ball, as they say, is in your court.

Comment

Working...
                              X