Classical Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Radio

On Thursday the classical radio station had a 'listener's choice' day where people all week were calling in and requesting their favourite tunes. Well, I'm happy to report Beethoven was the overall #1 requested composer and 'The Moonlight Sonata' was the #1 requested song. A far back second was Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture' and Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' (Summer) probably because it's summer here in sunny AZ and hot!!!
    Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    On Thursday the classical radio station had a 'listener's choice' day where people all week were calling in and requesting their favourite tunes. Well, I'm happy to report Beethoven was the overall #1 requested composer and 'The Moonlight Sonata' was the #1 requested song. A far back second was Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture' and Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' (Summer) probably because it's summer here in sunny AZ and hot!!!
    Joy
    But I bet it was only the first movement of the Moonlight that was requested and played -Yet the second movement is such a gem (one of my favourites!) and the finale just knocks your socks off - providing the pianist is up to it!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      But I bet it was only the first movement of the Moonlight that was requested and played -Yet the second movement is such a gem (one of my favourites!) and the finale just knocks your socks off - providing the pianist is up to it!
      Hi, Peter. Well, actually they did play the entire 3 movements. The classical radio I listen to (about 90% of the time anyway),
      play all the movements. Yes, the second movement is one of my favourites as well. And, of course, the finale is tremendous.
      The first time I heard it I couldn't believe it. It took me two months to learn the first movement on piano. Slow, no? Have you ever seen it performed live? It's fantastic! Now, excuse me while I go in the pool, it's 108 here today!!!
      Regards, Joy

Comment

I remember the first time I looked at the "Moonlight" sheet music. I had the first and second movments down within a matter of days. Then I looked at the third movement. Haven't picked it up since

Comment

Hi, Peter. Well, actually they did play the entire 3 movements. The classical radio I listen to (about 90% of the time anyway),
          play all the movements. Yes, the second movement is one of my favourites as well. And, of course, the finale is tremendous.
          The first time I heard it I couldn't believe it. It took me two months to learn the first movement on piano. Slow, no? Have you ever seen it performed live? It's fantastic! Now, excuse me while I go in the pool, it's 108 here today!!!
          Regards, Joy
          You are fortunate in having such a good cm station - I never listen to our Classic FM over here anymore as it's mainly excerpts followed by the most banal adverts that make the TV commercials look good!
          I don't think 2 months is too long to learn the first movement providing you are studying properly - that first movement is deceptively easy and to perform it properly with totally even triplets and the right balance of sound requires a high level of musicianship, beyond the usual grade 5 pianist who attempts it.
          I have performed the Moonlight at a recital myself so I sympathise with anyone attempting that last movement!
          Hope you enjoyed your dip in the pool - I'm off to a party today and fortunately they have an indoor pool as it looks as though it might rain - typical British weather!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 06-10-2001).]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

No, 2 monthes are not AT ALL a lot to study the first mvmt of the Mondschein.... But it takes a life long to give back all the deep feelings in it.... The second mvmt is a jewel, not easy at all, and the third ask a solid virtuosity, good nerves and, and, and... You were lucky to hear the all sonata on radio : here, at FRANCE MUSIC, except for the concerts, we do hear "parts" of works... They are speaking more than sending music. So we call France Musique "France Parlote" (slang word for Parler -speak-).

(For the administrators : I read all your exchanges with pleasure about all the topics, even if I do not send a message... your comments are so good that it is not necessary, most of the time, to say more !)

------------------
            Claudie
            Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              I remember the first time I looked at the "Moonlight" sheet music. I had the first and second movments down within a matter of days. Then I looked at the third movement. Haven't picked it up since
              You must indeed be very talented to pick it up within days. As for the 3rd movement, well, that is way beyond my abilities. I don't have as much time as I would like to play. It's just a hobby with me, but I do enjoy it.
              Joy

Comment

You are fortunate in having such a good cm station - I never listen to our Classic FM over here anymore as it's mainly excerpts followed by the most banal adverts that make the TV commercials look good!
                I don't think 2 months is too long to learn the first movement providing you are studying properly - that first movement is deceptively easy and to perform it properly with totally even triplets and the right balance of sound requires a high level of musicianship, beyond the usual grade 5 pianist who attempts it.
                I have performed the Moonlight at a recital myself so I sympathise with anyone attempting that last movement!
                Hope you enjoyed your dip in the pool - I'm off to a party today and fortunately they have an indoor pool as it looks as though it might rain - typical British weather!
                Hi, Peter. Sounds like you need to listen to our classical radio over here. We don't even have commercials. It's all public broadcasting (NPR National Public Radio), and supported by people and business donations. They barely give the news, which is good sometimes what with all the bad news there is. It's mostly music in it's entirety. As for The Moonlight, I have never had a piano lesson in my life. It's all self-taught. That's why I'm stumped at times.
                I play what I can just for the pure enjoyment of it as a hobby, and I love it. Maybe some day I'll take professional lessons. I'll bet you played it beautifully. Would have liked to have heard that.
                I did enjoy my dip in the pool.
                Hope you enjoy your party. Here typical summer weather is in the 100's!!! We could use some of your rain.
                Regards, Joy

Comment

Hi, Peter. Sounds like you need to listen to our classical radio over here. We don't even have commercials. It's all public broadcasting (NPR National Public Radio), and supported by people and business donations. They barely give the news, which is good sometimes what with all the bad news there is. It's mostly music in it's entirety.
                  We have a station exactly like this already in the UK, it's called BBC Radio 3. It plays a lot of the wacky stuff as well as the mainstream stuff. These days it's going a little more commercial in its taste, following Classic FM's lead, listen-in at any time at random and it is very likely that you will be hearing some tedious Romantic drivel. It's a sign of the superficial times we live in here - I didn't vote in our national election this week because of this. I blame ALL of the UK's problems on Classic FM!!!

PS: I went to a great concert on Friday to watch an unusual ensemble: a trio of plucked instruments, timpani and a counter-tenor. 40,000 audience and a free beer shampoo!!

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-10-2001).]
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

You must indeed be very talented to pick it up within days.
                    Nope, that was back during a summer break when I was in high school. I didn't have a job, so I played pretty much from sun up to sun down. It was easy to get it down in that much time.

As for classical music radio stations, the one I listen to is pretty good. They generally play entire pieces, not just a single movement. They also play a lot of period instrument stuff. And the most imnportant thing - they play loads of Beethoven

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 06-11-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

PS: I went to a great concert on Friday to watch an unusual ensemble: a trio of plucked instruments, timpani and a counter-tenor. 40,000 audience and a free beer shampoo!!

Was it Handel or Beethoven?!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think we're very fortunate here in Canada to have the blessed Mother Corp. (aka CBC) publicly fund classical music dispersion. CBC Radio One is all news and talk, but Radio Two is nothing but classical and (usu.) related music. No commercials, brief news and arts update on the hour, three or five (I forget which) hours of requests every weekday, and the ever-avuncular Jurgen Gothe every day at 3. Bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          We have a station exactly like this already in the UK, it's called BBC Radio 3. It plays a lot of the wacky stuff as well as the mainstream stuff. These days it's going a little more commercial in its taste, following Classic FM's lead, listen-in at any time at random and it is very likely that you will be hearing some tedious Romantic drivel. It's a sign of the superficial times we live in here - I didn't vote in our national election this week because of this. I blame ALL of the UK's problems on Classic FM!!!

Excuse me, Rod, if this is a rather obvious
                          question, but, what is a free beer shampoo?
                          Also, what did you hear at this concert?
                          Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                            Nope, that was back during a summer break when I was in high school. I didn't have a job, so I played pretty much from sun up to sun down. It was easy to get it down in that much time.

As for classical music radio stations, the one I listen to is pretty good. They generally play entire pieces, not just a single movement. They also play a lot of period instrument stuff. And the most imnportant thing - they play loads of Beethoven

That's pretty much what you have to do is play from sunup to sundown in order to learn
                            the music. I don't have that much time. I'm lucky if I can squeeze in 1/2 hr. 4-5 times a week. Maybe. Sounds like you have a pretty good classical music station too especially
                            if they play a lot of Beethoven. So does ours and we love it.
                            Joy
                            [This message has been edited by Chris (edited 06-11-2001).]

Comment

Was it Handel or Beethoven?!
                              Since when did Beethoven write Castrato parts?! So I guess it must have been Handel, the words were in English so that also is another factor in H's favour. Strange that he should write music for songs about fat ladies of 'easy virtue'!

------------------
                              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                              X