Germania is AWESOME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germania is AWESOME!

Tonight, I once again enjoyed the stirring, rip-roaring rendition of national pride in Beethoven's vocal work, "Germania" WoO94 as sung by Gerald Finley and the BBC Singers. I'm not German, but I can't help getting caught up in the excitement of this piece.

I read that it's the final number from a work by one Friedich Treitschke called "The Good News" and wondered if anyone knew about this work. All I know is that it was a one-act work written after Paris was taken for the second time, presumably by Napoleon (?). Though I don't understand why that would be "Good News" to Germans.

Also, is "Germania" an old Italian name for Germany? I thought that was name given for the area now known as Germany by the Roman Empire. Of course, I'm probably way off here.

Originally posted by euphony131:

Also, is "Germania" an old Italian name for Germany? I thought that was name given for the area now known as Germany by the Roman Empire. Of course, I'm probably way off here.
    I think this is the case, it was fashionable in Imperial Europe to use the Roman name, as with 'Rule Britannia'.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

On 31st March 1814 allied forces entered Paris (for the first time) and it was for celebrating this that the music 'Die gute Nachricht' - the good news - was written, with music supplied by Hummel, Weigl, Mozart's son Franz and the final chorus Germania by Beethoven. The performance took place on 11th April 1814.

When Paris was taken for the second time in 1815, Treitschke again wrote a one act Singspiel 'Die Ehrenpforten' to which Beethoven supplied the final piece 'Es ist Vollbracht'.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X