Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which film about Beethoven do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which film about Beethoven do you prefer?

I thought that this would be a fun thread. Even if you haven't seen all of the movies vote for the one you prefer out of the ones you have seen.

If there is movie you prefer that is not on the poll than post about it.

My vote goes to Immortal Beloved. I like it, although it has many flaws there are a lot of good scenes.
    Immortal Beloved
    22.73%
    Copying Beethoven
    13.64%
    Eroica (BBC)
    18.18%
    Beethoven (BBC)
    18.18%
    Beethoven Lives Upstairs
    18.18%
    "Le neveu de Beethoven" ("Beethoven's Nephew") by Paul Morrisey
    0.00%
    An Immortal Spirit
    0.00%
    "Un grand Amour de Beethoven", by Abel Gance
    4.55%
    "Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata"
    0.00%
    "La dixième symphonie" ("The 10th Symphony") by Abel Gance
    4.55%
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Copying Beethoven is due to be released here in the UK tomorrow, so I shall have to reserve judgement until I've seen it! Nor have I seen all the films you list, but of those I have Eroica was by far the best.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

My vote goes to the BBC three-parter, imaginatively called "Beethoven". I don't know if it could be called a film or movie; drama-documentary would be a good description. Anyway, it's the best I've seen.
      "Eroica" would be my next choice, another hybrid.

Comment

From the films I've seen I would have to say Beethoven Lives Upstairs. That's about the most factual than some of the others although I have not seen Eroica nor the three parter which Michael mentioned.
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I'm not familiar with several of these. Can we get together some brief summaries/critiques?

Comment

Yeah, I had no idea there were this many films about Beethoven.

Comment

I can add another: "The Magnificent Rebel", made by the Disney studios in 1960. It was shown as a two-parter on American television but was released in cinemas in Europe. It wasn't too bad until they had Beethoven befriending a blind boy towards the end and being tended by monks on his deathbed.
              "Beethoven's Nephew", mentioned above, isn't too bad but obviously made on a shoestring. It must be noted for having the most obnoxious nephew of all.
              I have old video tapes of all these. I'm afraid I hoard everything connected with Beethoven.
              Abel Gance's film was available on eBay a few months ago for peanuts; even the seller couldn't drum up enthusiasm about it, but bear in mind that it was made in the 1930's.
              "Immortal Beloved" and "Copying Beethoven" have come in for some heavy criticism but they are much much better than any of films I have just described.
              Joy has mentioned "Beethoven Lives Upstairs". I haven't seen it but it seems to get consistantly good reviews but I don't think it's available on DVD
              Last edited by Michael; 08-16-2007, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                .Joy has mentioned "Beethoven Lives Upstairs". I haven't seen it but it seems to get consistantly good reviews but I don't think it's available on DVD
                http://www.childrensgroup.com/sectio...ssical_ie.html

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                  From the films I've seen I would have to say Beethoven Lives Upstairs. That's about the most factual than some of the others although I have not seen Eroica nor the three parter which Michael mentioned.
                  I would say I like this one the best too. I have seen seven of the films mentioned. There is also a documentory I bought from the Biography Channel titled "The Sound and the Fury", what I thought was a very good depiction of Beethoven's life (from what I know). Has anyone else seen this?

Comment

[ed "The Sound and the Fury",
                    MMh, I like this topic!!:
                    B. lives upstairs is a very nice movie, factual and sensitive. B. is really well depicted.I voted for it. As I have already said, Oldman is a lunatic and I don't like seeing B presented like this. In copy, Harris is...sexy! But some scenes should have been cut! As for "sound and fury" is it possible to find it somewhere?
                    "magnificent rebel" is a bit stupid and full of absurd ingenuities. "Nephew": I don't like the characters.
                    Eroica, Austrian movie: a bit démodé but not bad.
                    Abel gance: heavy like an ocean whale, but very interesting, the actor is... enormous!
                    An immortal soul: great God, Beethoven dancer! no comment
                    I miss BBC Eroica! I'm going to buy it on Amazon.
                    Do you know a French or Canadian movie about Minona, Pepi Brunsvik's daughter? I'd die for getting it!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      I can add another: "The Magnificent Rebel", made by the Disney studios in 1960. It was shown as a two-parter on American television but was released in cinemas in Europe. It wasn't too bad until they had Beethoven befriending a blind boy towards the end and being tended by monks on his deathbed.
                      Thanks for reminding me of this one Michael - I'm certain I saw it on British tv in 1977/8 and at the time I enjoyed it.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                        As I have already said, Oldman is a lunatic and I don't like seeing B presented like this.
                        Terry a few things:

-There are scenes in Immortal Beloved that are very positive.
                        -Beethoven was a very eccentric man.
                        -Beethoven did have a temper.
                        -If you want to see a movie that depicts actual insanity, then I recommend you watch, this, http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0 It is for the very most part, and I mean the very most, by Roger Waters.

I am not saying that Beethoven wasn't good though, by saying the things I said. The only reason I say this is because I like Immortal Beloved, I mean you have to admit that it had some really good scenes, at least I think.

Best Regards,
                        Preston
                        Last edited by Preston; 08-17-2007, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                          [ed "The Sound and the Fury",
                          MMh, I like this topic!!:
                          B. lives upstairs is a very nice movie, factual and sensitive. B. is really well depicted.I voted for it. As I have already said, Oldman is a lunatic and I don't like seeing B presented like this. In copy, Harris is...sexy! But some scenes should have been cut! As for "sound and fury" is it possible to find it somewhere?
                          "magnificent rebel" is a bit stupid and full of absurd ingenuities. "Nephew": I don't like the characters.
                          Eroica, Austrian movie: a bit démodé but not bad.
                          Abel gance: heavy like an ocean whale, but very interesting, the actor is... enormous!
                          An immortal soul: great God, Beethoven dancer! no comment
                          I miss BBC Eroica! I'm going to buy it on Amazon.
                          Do you know a French or Canadian movie about Minona, Pepi Brunsvik's daughter? I'd die for getting it!
                          I have The Sound and The Fury a very good adaptation of Beethoven's life. This film examines his works, his struggles, and includes beautiful period artwork as well. I bought it on Amazon.com that's been a while ago. Hopefully they still carry it.

Comment

Originally posted by heidi View Post
                            I would say I like this one the best too. I have seen seven of the films mentioned. There is also a documentory I bought from the Biography Channel titled "The Sound and the Fury", what I thought was a very good depiction of Beethoven's life (from what I know). Has anyone else seen this?
                            I have this film and it is a very good depiction indeed. Lots of information about his life and music. I also have 'Ludwig van Beethoven' a film by Hans Conrad Fischer another good documentary which includes information about his political and religious beliefs. Also have 'The Life, Times, and Music of LVB' Lots of good music/orchestral performances and some historical background. And 'Whole Notes LVB Triumph Over Adversity', with performances by the Canadian Orchestra looking behind the music and discussing the impact his deafness had in shaping his music and career. Some very good documentaries.
                            Last edited by Joy; 08-17-2007, 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I think that I am going to have to change my vote. I hadn't seen Beethoven (BBC), so I decided to search Google Video for it. I found it, at least the last two parts. It seems to be a far more detailed movie than IB. I wish I had better taste when it came to movies. Beethoven (BBC) seems to be my vote as of now.

I am not saying that the actor that played Beethoven did not do a good/great job, but I would like to see someone who looked more like Beethoven. Someone who meets the descriptions of Beethoven. I think that would have made a lot of difference. I mean I see why they chose the actor they did, you could say he has resemblances but I imagine that they could have found someone better to play the role.

Good pick, Michael. Anyone that hasn't seen this really really needs to, I think.

I have checked the Opus Arte website and they do not have it. Does anyone know where to get the movie Beethoven (BBC)?
                              Last edited by Preston; 08-19-2007, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X