Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which film about Beethoven do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you will excuse me being flippant, the sort of Beethoven film I would love to see would be where LvB is played by Arnie Schwartzenegger shooting up the aristocracy in an attempt to introduce Marxist ideology into a mid-nineteenth-century Viennese society. Granted, Arnie's Austrian accent would not be the 'authentic' Rheinland accent of our belovèd LvB, but a film is a film ...

Comment

There is a short Cartoon animation of Beethoven's life - Winner of the Best Series at the Portugal's CINANIMA Festival 2007. They did several great composers - here it is (lasts about 10 mins, complete with an annoying 17 second trailer).

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2913282
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE=Philip;37809]If you will excuse me being flippant, the sort of Beethoven film I would love to see would be where LvB is played by Arnie Schwartzenegger .......

Waste of time, Philip. Didn't Schwarzenegger say on numerous occasions: "I will be Bach" ?

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael;38214]
          Originally posted by Philip View Post
          If you will excuse me being flippant, the sort of Beethoven film I would love to see would be where LvB is played by Arnie Schwartzenegger .......

Waste of time, Philip. Didn't Schwarzenegger say on numerous occasions: "I will be Bach" ?
          Excellent! I love you for this response, you have made my day!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael;38214]
            Originally posted by Philip View Post
            If you will excuse me being flippant, the sort of Beethoven film I would love to see would be where LvB is played by Arnie Schwartzenegger .......

Bravo!...

Comment

Two more and you're there, PDG! I'm counting on you!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                There is a short Cartoon animation of Beethoven's life - Winner of the Best Series at the Portugal's CINANIMA Festival 2007. They did several great composers - here it is (lasts about 10 mins, complete with an annoying 17 second trailer).

Not bad Peter. I enjoyed it. The artists' new what they were doing I think.

Peter, have you seen Copying Beethoven yet, if you don't mind me asking?
                Last edited by Preston; 11-29-2007, 10:38 PM.
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Absolutely wonderful, Peter, with amazing use of the "Missa Solemnis". I wonder if those composer cartoons are available on DVD?

Comment

Yes, very beautiful. But it tells the stories of both Beethoven's AND Vivaldi's childhoods? Why mix them?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                      Not bad Peter. I enjoyed it. The artists' new what they were doing I think.

Peter, have you seen Copying Beethoven yet, if you don't mind me asking?
                      No Preston - it wasn't available at my local cinema and didn't last long at the next nearest. To be frank from the reviews, comments and discussions we've had about it here it doesn't interest me greatly. I am watching at present the life of Verdi (Ronald Pickup) which by contrast is a very factual account of his life (despite the awful dubbing and poor quality dvd) - it shows it can be done without resorting to fiction.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Ok this is a good time to break the ice of this topic!

Immortal Beloved - hehehe I love it... except the the ending I didn't like!

A&E Beethoven - sound of furry - HATE IT!!!! Good thing I didn't bought it.. had to check it out at the library one time.... it was a disaster!! 30mins of BS!! The way they did the biography was horrible!

Copying Beethoven - Never had seen it yet..

Eroica (BBC) - Very nice.. very wounderful how they made it historical. Enjoyed it a lot.

Beethoven (BBC) - Never heard of it..

Beethoven Lives Upstairs - my favorite!!! This always keeps a smile on my face making me feel right in the movie.

"Le neveu de Beethoven" ("Beethoven's Nephew") by Paul Morrisey - Ok this one is a tough one, I don't know if you guys seen this, but not interested in seeing it for some reason.

An Immortal Spirit - I have never heard of it either..

"Un grand Amour de Beethoven", by Abel Gance - OH GOD I wanted to get it so bad!! Problem is.. only in french.

"Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata" - Watched it, but didn't like it.

"La dixième symphonie" ("The 10th Symphony") by Abel Gance - I've seen this article in lvbeethoven.com once... does anyone know it's on VHS or DVD??

Comment

[QUOTE=heidi;37078]I would say I like this one the best too. I have seen seven of the films mentioned. There is also a documentory I bought from the Biography Channel titled "The Sound and the Fury", what I thought was a

Sorry for coming upon this topic again, but I have a question: I can't find where and how to download BBC THE GENIUS OF B. I found it once and I suddenly lost it.
                          first, I found the BBC main page about Beethoven:
                          then, on the right there is written: THE GENIUS OF BEETHOVEN so I should find the movie to be download, right? Well: if I click on this topic I only find a general timetable about the main BBC programs, nothing about B. Try by yourselves...I'd be pleased if someone cane help me in finding THE RIGHT WEB ADDRESS... Thank you!
                          Secondly...THE SOUND AND THE FURY and BBC EROICA, are there on the web or not? If yes, where? Thank you very much. I don't have ADSL so it is expensive to go around here...

Comment

Hi Terry! You have to download The Genius of Beethoven, from one of the sites similar to YouTube. You will need high speed internet to get it them though. The movie, The Genius of Beethoven comes in three parts. The last two are the only ones available on the internet, that I know of. Here are the links:

http://www.guba.com/watch/2000950870 (Part 2)
                            http://www.guba.com/watch/2000951022 (Part 3)

Remember that Part 1 is not available. Or at least I haven't been able to find it, .

To download the movie to your computer click on the arrow to the right of Select Download Format (above the "video screen"), and select Full Download, or if you don't want the high quality due to slow internet you can download it for iPod or PSP.

Here is the link to where you can purchase Beethoven's Eroica, http://www.opusarte.com/pages/product.asp?ProductID=98 .

Here is the link to where you can purchase The Sound And The Fury, http://www.amazon.com/Biography-Beet...7016347&sr=1-5 .

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Preston
                            Last edited by Preston; 04-01-2008, 02:21 AM.
                            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Hello Terry. Preston gave you all the info where to find these films, but you can also get 'The Sound and the Fury' on ebay very cheap.

I saw the first two episodes of 'The Genius of Beethoven' when a friend of mine form the UK recorded them and sent them to me. He didn't realize there was a third episode and I went two years waiting to see it until it finealy appeared on You Tube. What a wait.

Heidi

Comment

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Preston[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! First, I'll try to open them now: then, if I can't succeed because of my connection, I'll simply write down these links to a friend who owns everything I need.

Aphorism by Norman Mailer:
                                "it's easier to make someone play the Ninth with an ocarina, than to make a journalist say the truth"

Comment

Working...
                                X