Copying Beethoven Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tod View Post
    Ed Harris did a pretty good job and his "character" was as I'd hoped and far better than any other actor I've seen attempt to be Beethoven, but it would have been far better if he had at least tried to tone down his American Accent which was a little off putting.

I'm sorry to offend anyone, but I thought Diane Kruger's part was entirely superfluous and distracting. We all know from historical accounts that she was fictional and hence unbelievable, and I'm sorry but Diane's vague attempt at conducting in the 9th Symphony and shaky cameras completely detracted me from the spectacle of the performance.
    Ed Harris was Beethoven in this movie. At least, how I've often pictured him. Perhaps because I'm American I disagree with your comment of 'toning down his American accent.' You would have preferred a German or Austrian accent? To those around him, LVB would not have had much of an accent, at least not a strong one as say, English vs. German.

I also disagree with your take on Diane Kruger. Fictional yes, but the scene with her conducting Beethoven -- who in turn conducts the symphony -- was the most powerful of the entire film. The climax, actually. And with more than a few erotic or at least romantic undertones, imo. As the heroine of the story, this was her moment, not truly Beethoven's.

I thought she acted brilliantly.
    www.johnakarr.com

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
      Ed Harris was Beethoven in this movie. At least, how I've often pictured him. Perhaps because I'm American I disagree with your comment of 'toning down his American accent.' You would have preferred a German or Austrian accent? To those around him, LVB would not have had much of an accent, at least not a strong one as say, English vs. German.
      Perhaps you are right. Maybe it's my biased idea of how he should sound -i.e. not American. It's not that I dislike the American accent as a whole, but it just doesn't gel with me for Beethoven. Strangely to my ears, the Euro-English accent of the Beethoven in the BBc's series "The Genius of Beethoven", sounds so right...I don't mind him not having a German accent.

I also disagree with your take on Diane Kruger. Fictional yes, but the scene with her conducting Beethoven -- who in turn conducts the symphony -- was the most powerful of the entire film. The climax, actually. And with more than a few erotic or at least romantic undertones, imo. As the heroine of the story, this was her moment, not truly Beethoven's.
      I thought she acted brilliantly.
      I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think it detracts from the performance of the 9th too much. Just my opinion, your thoughts are just as valid.

----
      And to follow up on my rant about the quality of the Australian release...I emailed the distributor and they confirmed my concerns and said it has now been rectified in the new production run. I'll just have to go back to the shop and swap it...cool. Unfortunately it was an executive decision not to run the 'behind the scenes' extras on the Australian release. Shame, it would have been interesting.
      “Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable,
      develop as fully as we can the gifts God has given us, and never stop learning”
      LvBeethoven

Comment

To those around him, LVB would not have had much of an accent, at least not a strong one as say, English vs. German.
        I would have thought that Beethoven's Bonn accent was quite different from the Viennese!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Good deal, Tod. Two views.

Peter, Bonn vs. Viennese ... I've never been to either place, but don't they both speak German? If so then you're referring more to dialect than the more stark international differences of two completely different languages
          www.johnakarr.com

Comment

In the rather insular conditions of early 19th century Europe, Beethoven would have had a rather different accent than the Viennese. I suspect that as his hearing became worse, the differences would become more pronounced both from being less exposed to the Viennese accent and his reverting to the accents of his youth.

Comment

[your comment of 'toning down his American accent.' You would have preferred a German or Austrian accent? To those around him, LVB would not have had much of an accent, at least not a strong one as say, English vs. German.

I don't mind his accent. I hear him in Spanish, Italian... Btw, I've never heard about this "Genius of Beethoven" you talk about in another post. Who is the actor? Is it possible to find it anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                I don't mind his accent. I hear him in Spanish, Italian... Btw, I've never heard about this "Genius of Beethoven" you talk about in another post. Who is the actor? Is it possible to find it anywhere?
                Maybe your version is dubbed in Spanish, Italian? Ed Harris is a brilliant American actor.

as for "The Genius of Beethoven"...check out this thread
                http://www.gyrix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2975

If you do a google video search for it, you'll find it. It was originally broadcast by the BBC in the UK back in 2004, then again in 2005. I don't believe it has been released on DVD so far unfortunately. The actor playing LvBeethoven is an Englishman by the name of Paul Rhys. I think he does a great job.
                “Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable,
                develop as fully as we can the gifts God has given us, and never stop learning”
                LvBeethoven

Comment

As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, Arnie Schwartzenegger is the next Hollywood 'sure-bet' on playing our belovèd LvB. Come on, at least he's got (almost) the right accent!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, Arnie Schwartzenegger is the next Hollywood 'sure-bet' on playing our belovèd LvB. Come on, at least he's got (almost) the right accent!
                    I'd like it noted that this is the closest that Philip has come to making a joke! I know this is something he has striven for since day one, so well done!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                      I'd like it noted that this is the closest that Philip has come to making a joke! I know this is something he has striven for since day one, so well done!!
                      I will have to write a canon on your name, PDG.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        I will have to write a canon on your name, PDG.
                        Yes, in E or G please. I will allow a transcription for the string quartet version only.

Comment

Dedication......?
                          Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Tod View Post

If you do a google video search for it, you'll find it. It was originally broadcast by the BBC in the UK back in 2004, then again in 2005. I don't believe it has been released on DVD so far unfortunately. The actor playing LvBeethoven is an Englishman by the name of Paul Rhys. I think he does a great job.
                            Isn't it the BBC version originally called EROICA? I can find it on Amazon, when I have the patience to read all the rules to buy it online. I can't find the "order" anywhere in any page...I can't use it (frustration) Thank you Tod.

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                              Isn't it the BBC version originally called EROICA? I can find it on Amazon, when I have the patience to read all the rules to buy it online. I can't find the "order" anywhere in any page...I can't use it (frustration) Thank you Tod.

No, Terry. "Eroica" is another BBC production which won an award and is available on DVD. It concerns the first performance of the Third Symphony and it contains a full performance of that work. I think it is on the Pro Arte label.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...Go.x=13&Go.y=6
                              Last edited by Michael; 11-05-2007, 07:00 PM.

Comment

For those in the US who have been on the fence about whether to acquire the DVD of Copying Beethoven, I understand that it has just gone out of print (pretty short shelf life, if you ask me). Most online sellers have it in stock presently but once they're gone they're gone and you're at the mercy of eBay sellers. No idea whether it might be replaced by another edition at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X