Another 'Complete' Edition, now from Sony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joy View Post
    By the way, love your Beethoven character!!
    Great avatar. When I looked at it first, I thought Beethoven was jumping onto the piano but what I thought was his leg was his arm. (If you can follow me.......)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Great avatar. When I looked at it first, I thought Beethoven was jumping onto the piano but what I thought was his leg was his arm. (If you can follow me.......)
      Oh, I follow you all right, it's exactly what I thought of at first as well!!
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
        Oh, I follow you all right, it's exactly what I thought of at first as well!!
        Glad you like it. I found that cartoon drawing years ago and just saved it to my hard drive. Then when I saw all the cool avatars here I decided to pull one out that would fit in!

Anyway, I actually had YOU in mind when I posted that, Joy. I think there are not a lot of other American's here that could take advantage of it. But at that price, it is an opportunity that simply can't be missed.

Even a HIPpie can come away happy: the cello sonatas are by Anner Bylsma & Jos van Immerseel, 2 of the very top names in authentic instrument performance. Since they are out of print, those 2 disks alone, at collector's prices, would go for well over $50, so I'm ahead of the game before I even take the field!

Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
          Glad you like it. I found that cartoon drawing years ago and just saved it to my hard drive. Then when I saw all the cool avatars here I decided to pull one out that would fit in!

Anyway, I actually had YOU in mind when I posted that, Joy. I think there are not a lot of other American's here that could take advantage of it. But at that price, it is an opportunity that simply can't be missed.

Even a HIPpie can come away happy: the cello sonatas are by Anner Bylsma & Jos van Immerseel, 2 of the very top names in authentic instrument performance. Since they are out of print, those 2 disks alone, at collector's prices, would go for well over $50, so I'm ahead of the game before I even take the field!

Thanks very much for the information, Gurn. An absolute 'steal' indeed!!
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Its certainly not just for Americans! I've ordered it - along with a number of other books and CD's I can't get here - and even with a total international shipping cost of around £16 ( which on a total order of around £50 /$100 is not cheap) it still works out cheaper than I could buy it here where on Amazon.co.uk its retailing for £36 and its nearer £40 in the shops! It does mean waiting though....... I do agree with Gurn that at that price its a real bargain even if the symphonies are the Zinman set which I already have and there may be some other duplications.
            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner View Post
              Its certainly not just for Americans! I've ordered it - along with a number of other books and CD's I can't get here - and even with a total international shipping cost of around £16 ( which on a total order of around £50 /$100 is not cheap) it still works out cheaper than I could buy it here where on Amazon.co.uk its retailing for £36 and its nearer £40 in the shops! It does mean waiting though....... I do agree with Gurn that at that price its a real bargain even if the symphonies are the Zinman set which I already have and there may be some other duplications.
              Ah, JA, I didn't realize the S & H would work out in your favor. In that case, it is a bargain for all!

PS - I'm OK with repeating the Zinman's too. I figured that even though I have ALL the music, I only have 10% or less of the performances, and I only paid $10 for the Zinman set anyway, so not an expensive duplication.
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It gets better - I've just had confirmation that Amazon have shipped the Beethoven ahead of the rest of my order and the S&H on this bit was a measly $3 making the total for this set $30 - about half the price it retails for over here - even on Amazon! Even though classsical music prices have fallen considerably over here and the dollar exchange is currently very favourable to us Brits, I still can't believe how much more we are being charged in comparison with the rest of Europe never mind the US. Still it gives me even more of an incentive to visit the US again - I'll just have to be careful on excess baggage!
                Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                  Mike, asking Beethoven to arrange folksongs is akin to asking McCartney to put music to a nursery rhyme, like Mary Had A Little Lamb. So come on, you know you lose the argument...
                  Recall that the first (or one of the first; I forget) singles ever released by The Beatles was a pop version of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean"....not all that far off from a nursery rhyme.

Comment

Hmmm.....Yes, in the pre-Ringo Germany days, the band backed Tony Sheridan on his arrangement of My Bonnie. But it's not as cool as Mary Had A Little Lamb.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                      Hmmm.....Yes, in the pre-Ringo Germany days, the band backed Tony Sheridan on his arrangement of My Bonnie. But it's not as cool as Mary Had A Little Lamb.
                      La-la, La la, La la la la la la la ........
                      Sorry, I forgot .... this is a serious academic forum .......

Comment

Working...
                      X